Chapter 9

I looked at our hands then in his eyes. "Why did you do that?" I asked softly.

"To show appreciation." Ivar said quietly. "You see me differently than how others see me. You treat me like a man not a cripple."

I looked down slightly. "I do now you mean... I was harsh at first..."

Ivar placed his finger under my chin turning my head to meet his eyes. "We were both harsh at first."

"I called you..."

"Out of anger... I know you didn't really mean it." Ivar placed his hand on my cheek.

I softly placed my hand on his. I looked down slightly for a moment. I looked back in his eyes. "You know... I would have never thought you would be even a little kind."

"I don't show this side of myself very often." Ivar said as he moved his hand from my cheek.

"I know... You tend to be aggressive and intimidating." I nodded. Ivar nodded in response. "What will happen when we get there?" I asked.

"You are going to stay close and let me do the talking." Ivar said quietly.

I nodded slightly. "Do you think we will find Rune easily?"

"No, probably not..." Ivar looked down.

"Well, then how will we find him?" I asked.

"Ask the people there if they know a man named Rune and where to find him." Ivar said quietly.

I looked down slightly. "I see."

Ivar placed his hand on top of mine gently. "Trust me, we will find out everything. Rest for now."

"I don't think I could..." I said softly.

Ivar wrapped his cloak around my shoulders as he leaned into the corner of the ship. He opened his arms wide. "Come here."

I looked at him for a moment then slowly moved closer to him. I felt his arm wrap around me. I slowly rested my head on his shoulder. I softly placed my hand on his chest.

I stayed awake for a while thinking about everything that has happened so far. I thought back to my dream for a moment then lifted my head slightly to look at Ivar.

His eyes were closed as he lied motionless. His breathing was soft and light. I shifted my gaze to my hand that rested on his chest. I almost wonder if there was a greater reason that brought Ivar and I together.

At first we acted as if we were enemies. Everything has begun to change. Ivar has not only admitted to caring about me, but he's also kissed me. I admitted to caring about him as well and even begun feel something I never thought I would ever feel.

I shifted my gaze back to Ivar's face. I finally understand why he always seems angry. He's in pain and instead of letting the pain show, he let's his anger mask everything. He doesn't want sympathy or anyone to pity him.

Ivar let out a slow deep breath. His eyes slowly opened and those bright hypnotizing blue eyes looked right into mine. "What is it Lir?"

"Nothing..." I whispered.

"You were thinking hard about something. I could feel you burn a hole in my face from your stare." Ivar whispered.

"I-I was just thinking about everything that has happened up to now." I looked down.

"Don't worry yourself Lir, we will find out what your father was truly planning." Ivar assured me.

"I wasn't thinking about those moments..."

"What do you mean?" Ivar asked.

"I was thinking about everything that has happened that involved you and I.." I slowly looked at him.

"Oh..." Ivar nodded as he sat up a little. "Is it making you uneasy?"

"No, I'm just thinking of how everything started to change between us when at first we acted as though we were worst enemies."

Ivar met my gaze. "When did you start to feel something?"

"When you were talking of doing a blood eagle to my father as punishment for what he did."

Ivar nodded as his eyes looked in mine. "I started feeling something at that time too."

"I never thought I would have these feelings before..."

"You never had a lover before meeting me?" Ivar asked.

"No, I was always more focused on training and being in charge of my father's warriors."

"I never thought I would find a women that felt the same way." Ivar leaned his head back.

I watched him for a moment then looked towards his legs. I looked back towards him and rested my head on his shoulder once more. I moved my hand to his other shoulder then closed my eyes.

I drifted off to sleep for the night and woke up to his men talking loudly. I opened my eyes and looked around.

I sat up and we were just about to dock. "Don't take your bow." Ivar said as he stood before me. Remember, let me do the talking and stay close."

"Alright." I nodded and stood up. I did as told by leaving the bow on the ship. I followed Ivar into the market place as he began speaking a language I didn't understand.

He talked to multiple people and nothing so far. Finding Rune was going to be a challenge for sure. We continued through the market place. Ivar started speaking to a black smith as I looked around slightly.

Ivar started walking and I followed closely. "Well?" I asked.

"He supposedly lives in the cabin on top of that hill." Ivar pointed.

"So, that is where we are going?"

"Yes." Ivar said then turned slightly. "Stay alert and cautious."

As we made our way along the path we went under attack. I was grabbed as Ivar was knocked to the ground. "Well, look who we have here... The son of the great Ragnar Lothbrok... The cripple... What are you doing here Ivar the Boneless?"

"I need to speak with a man named Rune... I am not here to fight."

"Ha! You expect me to believe that? Who is this beautiful woman?" He came toward me.

"Leave her out of this.." Ivar glared.

The man touched my hair then looked in my eyes with a smirk. I spat in his face. "You brought a fiesty one with you Ivar."

Ivar's eyes became hard as he watched. "Let her go..." He said in a low dark tone.