Chapter One: Flashes Of Brilliance

Remembering My Voice: Book Three Of The Kingston Series

I don't know how you are so familiar to me—or why it feels less like I am getting to know you and more as though I am remembering who you are. How every smile, every whisper brings me closer to the impossible conclusion that I have known you before, I have loved you before—in another time, a different place, some other existence

Chapter One: Flashes Of Brilliance

"Jasmine are you ready for LA?" Kelly asks excitedly. I blink out of my daze. Looking over at her. She is smiling ear to ear. We have grown closer these past 4 months. Something about the streets of Paris. She has been babbling about her dating life. Jason and Gerard are apart of her life now.

"It will feel good to be back." I tell her softly. Looking out the window of the plane. She looks down. She always seems to know when I need quiet.

~~~

A few hours later a hand shakes my shoulder. I open my eyes. A blurry face comes into view. Forming green eyes. Kelly.

"Hey sleepyhead, we're here." She smiles. I swallow down the hollow feeling in my stomach. She let's go of my shoulder backing away.

"Kelly," I say and she pauses undoing her seatbelt. She looks me in the eyes. "Have you ever-" I stop myself. "Nevermind. It's stupid."

"Tell me." She says. Looking genuinely interested.

"Have you ever missed something you've never had?" I ask. Biting my lip. Her eyebrows furrow.

"What do you mean?"

"Like missing the feeling of snowboarding and having never been. Like missing an epic love, but never having it."

"An epic love?" Her voice tightens. I bite my lip. My eyes going to the mirror a foot away across the aisle. There I am. My black hair gone. Signing the new movie means a new look. Kelly and I are both blonde now.

"Forget it." I mutter. Then I lean forward to grasp my script. Alpha Jax turned out very well. Which means Alpha Jax 2 is due. A lot more money this time. I stand up, running a hand through my hair and swallowing the sleepy taste in my mouth. Running my tongue over my teeth. "What's the plan for today, Kelly?"

"We're going to go straight to the hotel. We'll be there for a couple hours. You have a meeting with Helen your new stylist. She has a good rep, but she's a bit eccentric. After you get your final fitting, you'll get an hour to get dressed. There's a party downtown." Kelly stands along with me. Grabbing her purse and mine. She walks to the back, motioning for me to follow. But her mouth doesn't stop for a moment. She keeps talking. "We go to the party at 9pm. You'll try out Helen's choice of dress and we'll have to mingle for an hour and a half. You need to be in bed by 11:30pm at the latest. You have a meeting at 8am tomorrow, with Jeffrey and Paul the lead producers for Alpha Jax."

"Let's get pizza delivered to the hotel." I tell her. Her jaw drops. We stand before the door at the back of my plane.

"You're eating..? Without me trying to force you?" Kelly sounds genuinely surprised. I blink, realizing that it's out of character. But the old insecurity of gaining pounds is gone. I just find complete self assurance. I'll be having regular training sessions filming the movie, anyway.

"Yeah. It's no big deal, Kells. I think this past year, however blurry, was good. I feel like patching things up with my parents back home was good. Great even. Thinking of eating is easy. Eating is easy. I don't feel like I should be ashamed." I laugh. Pushing open the door. "I was always having spontaneous dinners with old friends in Paris anyway."