Chapter 57: Glaring

Today's combat class was another normal one. A little sparring, and Ms.Kougeki gave me some advice. My only good spell is my levitation one. I usually use the blue mats on the floor, but she explained to me that I'll not always have blue mats lying around when I get into a fight. I don't intend on fighting anyone for real anytime soon, though. She suggested carrying a hidden weapon around. Not sure how that would work, but it got me thinking a little.

"So... how's it goin'?" Ms. Kougeki tilted her head. 

"Fine, thank you. How about you?" It's rare for her to ask about how I feel for once. Maybe Ms. Kougeki does actually somewhat care for me as a student even if I'm pretty terrible at her class.

"No, no, no. Not with you. With Yoru. You friends yet?" She asked.

"Oh. Yeah. Yoru. Um... no. Not yet." She looked disappointed. "These things take time you know!" I responded.

"How much time?"

"I dunno. Depends, but I promise I'll talk to her today, okay?" I try to reassure her.

The bell rings shortly after. I remember we have the rest of the day off, so I try to talk to Yoru before I leave. I spot her heading for the door.

"Um, hey! Yoru! I... want to talk to you!" I wave my hand at her like a crazy person. She turns around slightly. I could recognize that expressionless face and those cold eyes from a mile away.

I stop and stare at her for a minute. Something is weird. 

"What is it? ....... Are you sick or something?" I do feel kind of drowsy. Why is that? I look at Yoru straight in the eyes. Nothing. I see no number. Why is there no number? I had just gotten sort of used to seeing them... but I can't find.... her's....

Never mind. I found it. Instead of from her soul, her number is coming from her chest. No, from the necklace she's wearing. That black stone necklace. And her number is,

"F-f-f-f" I shivered. "You're... you're..." My knees are trembling. I can feel it. The depth of the shadow coming from her. It's weird, like being sucked into a giant vacuum. 

"I what?" She's annoyed now, but it is the highest number I'd ever seen.

"You're..... f-forty...two. That's not good. F-forty ... no. Forty three!"

It feels like all of the blood in my body is rushing to my head. It's kind of hard to see. Her number bounces around in the forties, but never reaches fifty. It can't reach fifty, because after that... there's no turning back. When I think about it, my friends had some pretty high numbers, too. Mostly Nebbia and the twins, though. Even so, it doesn't matter! I swear I will find a way to bring those numbers down. Luma said fifty is the center of dark and light. Witches are creatures of the light, so after that is... No! 

Yoru scowled, and turned to leave the room. I felt a lot more stable once she left, but it doesn't matter. Forty three? That's insane! I am not going to let someone leave my sight with a number like that. I WILL bring it down. 

"Hey! Yoru! Wait up!" I get back on my feet and rush after her. She speeds up her pace. I continue anyways. She gets even faster, and finally, I reach her by running.

"Sorry about that, my inheritance was acting up a bit. Um, so.... uh..." What do I talk about, what do I talk about?? Er.....Oh, I know!

"So what's your inheritance? Mine is shadow perception!" I tried to make my forced smile look as warm and sweet as possible. Hopefully she won't be able to tell I'm scared as heck. 

She gave up trying to get away from me and slowed down. She didn't, however, stop glaring at me. That drowsy feeling began to creep up on me again. I don't think being around someone with a number this high is too good for my health, especially since I'm still getting used to my new inheritance. But I'll have to find a way to get used to it. Her staring continues to pierce through my skull. Eventually I just get tired off it. I glare back at her. She stops walking. I stop walking. We glared at each other.

Glaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

After we'd been glaring for a solid minute, I actually felt more relaxed. That should be a stress exercise. Pointless aggressive glaring. Looks like she's more relaxed, too.  I kind of feel less dizzy and more confident. Is that why she's always glaring all of the time? Maybe. 

"So, yeah. That was fun. Now I really am curious, what's your inheritance?" I asked her, less tense this time. She starts walking again once I ask, and looks out the window.

"Don't have any."