Ash

A week had passed since the incident at the Francois estate. The rumor about Evelyn had grown fast and in horrific ways. The townspeople not only accused Evelyn of being a witch, but their mother of using Evelyn to seduce innocent and unsuspecting men. One woman said that Evelyn forced Francois to impregnate her. It was only after a few days that talk of a public burning began to circulate around the small town.

On one particularly cold morning, Reina Maria overheard a group of villagers talking in the town square.

"We should take care of them, before they entrap any more of our husbands and sons," one woman said. 

"Today, we'll do it today," another said.

Reina Maria ran from the town square.

"We have to go," she said as slammed the door behind her. "We have to leave now."

Both Evelyn and her mother glanced up at her.

"What happened?" her mother asked. She sat in the armchair, knitting a small hat for the baby.

"They're going to do it today. I overheard them talking."

Evelyn covered her mouth in shock.

"We have to go," Reina Maria said.

Their mother looked over at Reina Maria and then to Evelyn.

"We'll leave tonight."

"No, mother. We must leave now," Reina Maria said.

"And go where and with what. We need time to pack. We need to bring clothes, food, blankets, jewelry to sell. Anything of value. Besides, if we leave now, they'll know," she said. "No, we'll go under the cover of darkness."

Reina Maria did not like this plan, but they had no choice. Their mother was right. They needed more time.

By nightfall, they were ready to go. They had packed the carriage full of every belonging they deemed necessary. They would make it to the next town and then in the morning, go even further.

Reina Maria and her mother helped Evelyn into the carriage.

"Wrap this blanket around you," Reina Maria said.

"I thought I was supposed to take care of you," Evelyn whispered. 

Their mother steered the carriage from the perch. They had only gone several kilometers when they heard the sound of loud voices. At first, they heard only a few, but soon the voices grew. A mob had gathered on the road and was making its way towards their house.

Reina Maria stuck her head out of the carriage window and looked ahead. The villagers marched in their direction with lit torches.

"What is it, Reina?" Evelyn asked, noticing that they had stopped.

Their mother climbed down from the carriage and opened the door.

"They're on the road. We have to turn back."

"Where will we go?" Evelyn asked.

"I don't know, but we can't go on."

"Are there horses?"

"Yes, a few."

"Then there's nothing we can do. They'll catch up to us," Evelyn said.

"We should abandon the carriage. We should go into the forest and hide," Reina Maria said.

"I can't," Evelyn said. "I'm too slow. I'll just slow you down. Go without me."

"No," Reina Maria said.

"Our best chance is the carriage. We'll go off the path and into the forest. Perhaps they won't notice the tracks. They'll expect us to be home, and they'll go straight to the house," their mother said.

"It's too risky," Reina Maria said.

"We have no other choice." Their mother closed the carriage door and a moment later, they were off.

Reina Maria could feel as they abandoned the road and entered the forest. The ground was rocky and full of fallen branches and holes. They went only five minutes before one of the wheels of the carriage gave out and the carriage dipped to one side. 

"What happened?" Reina Maria asked, peeking her head out the window.

"We're stuck," their mother said. "I'll take the horse. I'll steer them away. You and Evelyn hide out in the storage under the carriage, and I'll come back for you."

"We'll all come," Reina Maria said.

"No, we'll move too slowly. I'll go alone. Hide here and if you don't hear anything for an hour, go deeper into the forest and hide."

"Mother, no," Evelyn cried. "Don't leave us."

"Trust me, girls. Just do as your told. Hide. I'll come back for you." Without another word, she unhitched the horse and took off in the direction of the mob.

The moment their mother was out of sight, Evelyn turned to Reina Maria.

"Hurry, climb into the storage space. I'll come in after you."

Reina Maria did as she was told. 

"It's too small, Evelyn. I don't think this is going to work. I think we should head into the forest."

Evelyn closed the lid, locking Reina Maria in from the outside.

"Evelyn!" she screamed. "What are you doing? Let me out."

"You're right, Reina. We both never would have fit."

"Evelyn, no," Reina Maria cried.

"It's better this way," Evelyn said.

"Evelyn, please," Reina Maria cried. "Let me out! We can run."

"No, sweet Reina. It's my job to protect you. When you're free, don't come after us."

"No!" Reina Maria cried.

"Goodbye, sweet Reina. I love you. I'm sorry," Evelyn said and then disappeared into the night. 

...

She had to escape, she said to herself. She had to save them.

She pressed against the wood. It felt weak. She began to punch at it with her fist. Her knuckles bled but she could feel the wood weakening.

After a few hours, Reina Maria climbed out of the small hole she had made in the wood. Her hand throbbed and blood dripped down her knuckles. 

By the time she reached town, it was dawn. As the sun illuminated the morning sky, snow began to fall. No, not snow, Reina Maria thought. Ash. She ran faster.

As she got nearer, she could see the townsquare. It was empty. Maybe they had escaped, she thought for a brief moment.But then, in the near distance, she saw it. Two tall wooden stakes stood burnt to a crisp.

"No!" Reina Maria cried out. She collapsed to the floor, clutching the ash in her palms.