Chapter 7

"This will look perfect with you," Aashna says holding up a thin, double-barreled pepperbox .

"Its substantial weight makes it straightforward to handle. It has a fair amount of firepower with great accuracy. This particular pistol comes with an expensive metal grip, with decorations made of ivory and a standard barrel, which could be ornamented if so desired" she geeked out.

I snarl at her, not satisfied.

"Why again would a medic like me need it ?"

She rolls her eyes and her shoulders slump over. "Fine," she says, tossing the gun back to Ashley, the weapon specialist. She slides her hand in the arsenal and takes down another one, holding it up with a big smile that is at the same time a manipulation tactic of hers. Big toothy smiles equal me not wanting to crush her efforts.

"How about something that doesn't give the opponent a 'shoot me first' impression? "

"It's a Glock 41!," Ashley says, his eyes bugging out at me. "How can you not like a Glock?"

"I don't think anybody would like to carry that crap around" I replied with a smirk.

Aashna spats out a laugh and she tosses her long dark hair back and reaches for her pocket . Out came a Glock 19. " He'll always be my number one." she smiled.

"What about that one on the top right corner ?" I asked pointing to a revolver like gun

"Not a bad choice Private" said a voice behind me.

"SIR!" said Aashna and Ashley in unison followed by a crisp salute when they saw the Corporal standing a few stacks to the back.

I feel my eyebrows knot thickly in my forehead.

"Don't you know that you have to salute a superior officer, Private Minnah ?" Corporal William questioned.

My silence immediately tells him that he went too far. I hate it when he does this.

" I'm sorry babe , just pulling your leg" he said with a beam of satisfaction.

Years of military life has hardly done anything to waver his handsome face. He was raven-haired, green-eyed and dressed head to toe in black, as always. Due to his palpable charisma, at one glance, she deemed him a unique and special being. I looked up from his hand into his eyes, noting their remarkable leaf-green hue, set against a dark limbal ring. His deep eyes always made me think that he was processing a million things at once.

"Aashna , Ashley gather round here " he said without taking his eyes off me. "I had assigned your fellow comrades Ambert and Suhail with a top secret mission a few days back. I've lost all communications with them. I'm afraid it's time to send out a search party."

The expression on his face was hard to read....was he afraid of something ? or was he guilty? .... it was hard to see much past his deep pupils.

" Where did you send them, Sir?" Ashley asked.

"Guǐ" he replied

"Ghost Island?!" Aashna squeaked.

Horror seized me, freezing my muscles and shooting darts of ice through my blood. Terror slowed time, throwing the scene into stark detail.

"A search party of two soldiers will be sent at once. Private Ashwin is receiving his mission instructions from the Major and I've personally recommended Minnah as his partne-"

My jaw dropped.

I wanted to be out there in the field , Yes. I was supposed to take this as a good news.

But the mission....

so far over a hundred soldiers have been sent to the Island from various nations, Nobody has ever made it back.

I wanted an adventure, but I surely hoped it wouldn't be my last