Pictures

We follow the agency's instructions as closely as we can when we get them. Sometimes Victor will excuse himself in the middle of practices or dinner when the phone rings. We can't keep our intention of starting a family secret this way forever, our friends and families begin to take notice.

My parents are the most excited. Really, everyone excited for us. Somehow, though, our closest friend manages to be last to find out (before he media). We try not to say anything about our intentions too bluntly for fear of the media hounding us.

"You two are up to something," Yurio says between forkfuls of a potluck dinner plate.

Some skaters have gathered for a Spring Benefit. We're raising money for cancer research this year. Yurio and I have taken a break from the ice for a few hours.

"Can you tell what we're up to?" I lift an eyebrow, amused.

"It's not good, whatever it is," Yurio says. "Nothing you ever do is good," he punches my arm in good nature.

I shove him back with a small laugh. "No, this thing is good."

Yurio rolls his eyes and continues to eat. He appears to mull something over as he chews.

"I bet you're getting another dog. Maybe opening a shelter just so you can justify having at least ten for yourself."

I laugh at that idea. "I like the way you think, Yuri. We should do that, too."

"Well whatever you're doing, you lovebirds better leave me out of it." I follow Yuri with my gaze as he gets up and begins to stretch. "You guys make me sick," he adds, slitting his gaze.

"Okay," I agree, still mildly amused.

"Good," Yurio smirks, apparently satisfied with this conversation.

His face falls when he sees Victor approaching us, though. Victor jovially greets Yurio with the clap of his hand on his shoulder.

"You're getting taller everyday," Victor remarks happily to Yurio. To me he adds, "Look what Sonia sent me," I think he must be referring to our sponsor, but when Victor lowers his phone screen for me to see from my seated position I realize he meant the social worker from Saint Anne's. He scrolls through an album of photos, all of Elkena having fun with her friends, some including Mary, and some with her Gramma. I fight down tears as I see how happy Elkena has become since the misery she was in when I first saw her.

"Yuri, you have to look at this," I call to him. Victor smiles wide, allowing Yurio to snatch his phone.

Surprise overtakes Yurio's usual sulk. Recognition flashes over his features as he scrolls through the photos.

"This is that kid," Yurio says, smiling faintly as he scrolls. "She has a new family?" He asks us.

"She's settling into a new home for now with her grandmother. We've been keeping tabs on Elkena, and her social worker just sent us these photos," Victor says. "Her grandmother is a sweet woman."

Victor has not gotten to show me the next album sent by the social worker.

"Who's this?" Yurio frowns.

Victor realizes before I do.

"That's Mary. She's the mother of the baby we're about to adopt."

Yurio's jaw drops in astonishment, but I just want to see the photos.

"Wait!" Yurio exclaims. "You idiots can't be fathers!"

But a couple months later, we bring our baby home from the hospital. Her name is Valkyrie, and even though her health is far from perfect, she is a perfect daughter. We don't forget Elkena, though, because just as our luck turns up, hers takes a downward spiral. As Elkena enters school, her grandmother's health takes a dive.

Elkena begins to struggle again, not in the physical way that Valkyrie struggles to breathe. I can tell when I call that Elkena is stressed out and frustrated during the day. Her schoolwork is difficult and her attention is never focused in the classroom. I'm told Elkena is always in and out of the school counselor's office.

On the same day that we finally learn the name of Valkyrie's heart condition, Sonia announces that Elkena has returned to a crisis situation.

Worrying about Elkena makes loving Valkyrie feel selfish in some ways. Victor and I often admit to each other that we won't be satisfied until we have custody of Elkena, too. But we have sympathy for her grandmother, who is truly trying her best to give Elkena a better life. Even though Victor and I are trying to produce happiness, it feels selfish to try to have it all.

All we can really do, my mom tells me on the phone one night, is extend help where we can, and wait as we do our best to keep Valkyrie alive and well. During this stressful period, I announce to the public that I'm going on a short break to take care of my family. Victor vehemently defends me, though he doesn't usually need to. I wonder if we haven't jumped into a situation where we are taking on more than we can handle.