Tainted Snow

I felt my hand begin to shake. With my opposite hand, I cradled it and ran a thumb over each finger. I didn't know what was up with me, but it felt like there was an invisible force just wanting me to get back at Haku for something he didn't do. He didn't kill Sasuke, I reassured. The shaking in my hand didn't cease as I watched the battle scene play out.

As Haku was in a bit of a panicked state, he threw Senbon, to which were easily deflected by Naruto. I felt Haku disappear into a mirror. He reappeared in every single one of his mirrors, each clone acting out quickly and focusing solely on Naruto. They launched senbon, easily lodging itself into the cloak-like Chakra surrounding Naruto. Said boy's Chakra yanked them out as Naruto let out a battle cry. He charged at the mirrors, creating cracks before it dramatically shattered. Haku disappeared once again, reappearing behind Naruto.

"This should be it!" he exclaimed. Haku's aim was off as Naruto dodged, as if it were the easiest thing in the world. All of a sudden, I felt the tension deepen, to the point where I felt glued to my spot. I didn't know why, for all I knew was this wasn't a good thing. Naruto's red Chakra began bubbling and contorting into a few tails. Since there was so much negative energy, I felt a headache come by.

Naruto relentlessly went back at it again with Haku.

Biting my lip, I contemplated for a moment if I should help Haku or not. With a 'tch', I Flickered forward, taking Haku by the arm and Flickering away. We were just in time to dodge one of Naruto's attacks. "Why...why are you helping me?" Haku skeptically sized me up and down. I sighed, eyes leaving his mask and trailing over Naruto's enraged form. "I don't know Haku... I don't know..." 

"How do you know my name?" he implored. "Now is not the time. Your life is at stake." I answered, Flickering to where Naruto resided.

"Naruto, it's me! Your...your best friend! Hey, listen to me, this isn't--" One of the tails raised into the air, preparing to slam down onto me. I quickly evaded with a jump, fleeing to where Sasuke's body lay. I was about to pick him up and take him somewhere safer, until I took notice of Haku. He was battling it out with Naruto, nearly getting decapitated. There was another crack as more ice mirrors shattered. 

I broke into a sprint, tired from Flickering and fleeing around so much. Fatigue was finally showing its ugly face, and at the wrong time too. My legs burned as I sprinted at top speed. I needed and wanted to put a stop to this, for neither boys deserved to fight each other. Naruto threw a jab at Haku. 

Clang!

Naruto paused mid-step, the red Chakra dispersing. I fell to my knees in front of Haku who lay on the ground. His mask lay a few feet away, nearly forgotten. "Haku..." His face was finally revealed. Not a mask nor a disguise, but his true, genuine, beautiful face. Even though his eyes were dulled and his lips leaked blood, I thought he looked absolutely gorgeous, which is probably not the best moment to be saying things like that. "You...from that time..." Naruto stammered. "Why...why stop? Even though I killed your dear friend, you can't kill me?" Naruto's lips slightly parted as he spared a long look at Sasuke's corpse.

He leaned over me, landing another punch at Haku. He landed on his back helplessly, a stoic expression coating his emotions. "Damn it!" Haku coughed, blood splattering from his lips. "What happened to the force from a moment ago? You can't defeat me with that kind of strength. Wasn't he someone special to you?" said Haku, slowly standing.

"Many people misunderstand. They pity and don't finish off the enemy they ought to finish. Just like your friend here." He pointed at me. "They let them survive. To me, that isn't compassion or anything. Do you know how it feels to not be needed by anyone, the both of you? To live day to day without a dream...? The pain of it all...."