ZERO

June 15th, 1864

Blood.

The blood that had once flowed thick and scarlet in their veins was drained of Alena's parents' bodies. She choked, tears began to make their way down her cheeks leaving wet trails as she began to sob hysterically.

Never had she pictured herself in a situation like this, her loving mother and hard-working father...killed. Wiped out. Dead.

She couldn't even fully comprehend what she saw when she noticed the huge bite marks on their necks. It looked like a wicked creature feasted on them, and Alena had a unsettling feeling in her gut.

Maybe she was next.

The small village Alena lived in had been in uproar because lots of mysterious animal attacks had occured in the past few days. All bodies were drained of blood, leaving the villagers in constant fear of what could happen next.

Her parents were the only reason she was still in the village, and now they were gone.

Alena swallowed the lump in her throat. She had to be strong. For them.

Tears started to well up in her eyes again. She sobbed as she sat down next to her mum, trembling.

Alena caressed her mother's cheek slowly, taking in the familar features. Her chestnut brown hair that naturally flowed in soft waves was smeared with the red liquid.

Her beautiful face with the straight nose. The curved, full lips that were almost never in a frown. Her green eyes that were showing kindness and sympathy then were so lifeless and dull now.

With a broken smile Alena closed her parent's eyes and a single tear escaped her eyes when she simply  said, "Goodbye."

She promised herself to never cry again if it weren't for the person she loved with all her heart.

Alena took one last shaky breath and turned around.

She never came back.

***

June 19th, 1864

Alena had been running for days.

She had arrived in the nearby village, looking for a place to stay permanently. With the money she had, she was able to survive for a few weeks maybe, but then?

That was currently bothering her when she was sitting on a bench which was located under a Damson plum tree in the centre of the village. She almost teared up at the thought of her parents.

Why did you leave me alone?

Alena grimaced and tried to think of something else, sighing heavily. It was already seven, and the sun began to go down.

"What is a young lady like you doing all by herself this late in the evening?" An older, rich-looking man grabbed her attention.

She furrowed her eyebrows and responded, "With all due respect, sir, I do not know why this should be of your concern."

He laughed lightly. The elderly man seemed to be friendly, but something was a little off about him. Alena just couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was.

"You seem to be upset, miss. Is there a way I could possibly help you?"

The girl sighed. "I do not think there is, sir.
My parents passed away recently and I do not have a place to stay."

He seemed to be in deep thought for a while, but then his face lit up a bit when he said, "Guiseppe Salvatore, pleasure to meet you."

***

June 21st, 1864

Alena was in awe at the sight of the Salvatore mansion. To her, it seemed almost majestically, but that was understandable because she came from a humble background.

Her family wasn't completely poor and they had a small house and they could afford food and clothes.
But this was something completely different.

Alena still couldn't believe Guiseppe really wanted to let her stay at his family mansion.
She was so grateful as she was listening to the man telling him about his two sons, Stefan and Damon.

And when Alena was standing in front of the front door with her heart beating at an unsteady pace, she almost felt prepared.

But the most beautiful girl she had ever laid her eyes on opening the door was definitely something she wasn't prepared for.