FOUR

July 13th, 1864

July 13th, 1864

It was already past midnight when Alena heard someone knock on her door. She lifted her gaze from the book she was reading and closed it, placing it on her night table before she got up. When opened the door, she could not believe what she saw. "Hello, sister."

"Nikolay?"

Alena couldn't describe all the emotions she felt at once - shock, confusion, a sense of euphoria - and the instant thought have I finally gone mad?

However, as she took in his appearance, she knew it was him; it had to be. His once dark brown, soft hair his sister used to love to ruffle when she teased him looked shaggy and black from all the dirt. Alena assumed that he hadn't had a bath in weeks at least, and judging from the state of his torn, stained clothes he surely had been through a lot.

"How - why did you - oh my." Alena shook her head and clasped her hand over her mouth, not able to form a coherent sentence. Tears had begun to form in her eyes, staining her cheeks. Tears of happiness.

She flung her arms around him, engulfing him in a hug and holding him tight, terribly afraid he might vanish if she wouldn't hold on tight enough. Without hesitation he returned the hug, holding her close.

Alena was not able to believe it. Her beloved brother, in her arms, alive.

***

"Where were you, all this time? Please brother, you must tell me!" Alena begged while she set down a steaming hot cup of tea on the table. Nikolay - who looked much better now that he had taken a bath and got fresh clothes - continued to remain silent. His sister sighed and sat down, crossing her arms. "Do you not think you owe me this much?"

Different emotions swirled in his eyes, a conflicted look on his face. "I- I cannot tell you. Something happened, sister. Something terrible. Not only to our parents, I'm afraid." He looked at her as if he were afraid to scare her away if he would say the wrong thing.

"But how are you still alive?" Alena whispered, her voice coming out steadier than she had imagined. She was incredibly thankful that her brother was still walking amongst the living, however, she knew something was really wrong.

A look of pain crossed his face. He wanted to tell her, he really did. But how was he supposed to? Alena had always looked up to him. The thought of her looking at him with fear, or even disgust - unbearable. "Because of what happened. It is a curse, however, in some way, it is a blessing as well."

July 14th, 1864

"Katerina!" Alena yelled while simultaneously knocking on the girl's bedroom door. She had a look of absolute joy on her face, her eyes twinkling. The human girl didn't bother to wait until Katerina answered; they had been to each other's rooms so often and never felt the need.

What Alena saw when the door swung open was not at all what she had expected. However, to say she was utterly shocked would be untrue. Ever since she had heard Stefan in Katerina's bedroom in the middle of the night she had been thinking about it.

Did she have genuine feelings for Alena or was she toying with her the whole time? Well, it looked like she had the answer to that question.

The thing that frustrated Alena the most was that she couldn't even say anything. They had never kissed, let alone were in a relationship. She wasn't able to accuse the girl she had grown to like a little more than was good for her of anything; she had no reason to be mad, jealous or angry.

So, when Alena took in the sight of the two lovers lying in bed, covering their bodies with the sheets, she simply whispered, "I'm sorry" before running out of the room as fast as she could.

When Katerina saw the look on the girl's face, she felt a sharp pain sear through her heart. The Petrova was at a loss of words; then again, what could she say to explain it? She didn't know what she felt. No, actually - she did know what she felt, and that was the problem. Katerina fell for Stefan first, and who could blame her for that?

She thought she had it all figured out, until Alena. Oh, Alena. The petite human was a whole different story.

***

Vote/Comment

Thank you all for not giving up on the story, even though I haven't updated in ages. I have been trying to get back to writing, I don't really like how this chapter turned out but I hope you still liked it❣️