Chapter 12

THE TEAM was back on the lab of the bus, standing around watching Fitz and Simmons analyze the metallic piece

"Either someone cracked our comm system" Coulson told them "Or Dr. Hall's movements leaked from inside S.H.I.E.L.D"

"You really think we have a mole?" May asked

Hayley looked up, curious

"I think you should go through the communication logs, rule it out" Coulson told her "We'll work the tractor tread that we found on the scene"

"I can do that instead of pull-ups" Skye told them "I can upload an image of the tread pattern, check to see if there's any sort of-"

Ward walked in "Already done. Matched it to a 2010 model. Found a list of purchasers within a 500-mile radius, narrowed down to those with priors, financial troubles, or propensity for risk-taking" he pulled up three suspects on a computer screen "Three suspects."

"Who may have sold their construction equipment to the kidnappers. We'll ask" Coulson told them

Ward walked away

Hayley tilted her head aside, watching closely at the computer screen, thoughtful

Skye looked between Hayley and Coulson, turning to face him "Hey, so, Ward said a funny thing. He said that you guys don't have a truth serum"

Hayley looked at Coulson

Coulson looked innocent "Did he? Ward said that?"

Skye nodded "Yeah."

"Interesting." Coulson replied, walking away 

"Yeah" Skye frowned "Hey, wait-"

May walked to Skye, handing her a binder "Hey"

Skye looked up at May "Do you want me to bench press this?"

"Read it" May told her "Every communication out of HQ since they decided to transfer Dr. Hall"

May walked away.

Hayley chuckled, tilting her head aside standing up "Good luck" she told Skye, walking away

"Wait" Skye told her. Hayley stopped at the lab doors "Little help?"

"I've done a lot reading when I was at the academy. I don't need more" Hayley told her "Now's your turn"

Hayley walked away, leaving Skye alone with the binder

~*~

It was the next day on the lab

There were gold bricks on the table that Coulson and Ward had found

Simmons and Hayley were scanning them.

Simmons showed what she found to Fitz, Coulson, Ward and Hayley "It looks like this because it's a doré bar. It means it was made at the mine rather than in a refinery. It's only about 92% pure. The cowboy got cheated a bit."

"Can you determine the mine based on the impurities?" Coulson asked

"Yeah. We've done that already" Hayley answered, straightening up and turning to face a computer, typing "It's from the Dacey mine in Tanzania" Coulson walked closer to the computer, "Which is owned by Quinn Worldwide"

Coulson sighed, looking from Simmons to Fitz "I'm sure you studied the C.E.O. in your chemical engineering classes or saw him on the cover of Forbes. Ian Quinn."

Hayley scrunched her nose, shaking her head sighing

~*~

In the lab, Simmons, Fitz, Hayley and now Skye were talking