chapter 20 | the haunting memories

" We shouldn't do this. "

Shayne pulled away before they could actually kiss. You could hear both of their hearts beating out of their chest, they were so nervous.

" Yeah, I'm sorry. " She sat up. " So lunch? " She asked, fixing her hair. " Lexi.. "

" No, it's my fault. I didn't mean to lead you on. Sorry. " She got up because she felt awkward. She stood in front of her mirror and fixed herself up.

" It's not that, we can't just pick up where we left off. " He walked beside her, looking at their reflexions. " We weren't in the right mind then, we were held hostage and on a high of emotions. " He said as he remembered their last talk before everything happened.

" I don't think I'm gonna make it. " She cried into his lap. For the first time since their capture, Craig and Isabelle untied and let them roam free.... In that room.

All they did was cuddle.

" Don't say that, Lexi. We're going to make it out alive! " Shayne looked down at her. He tried to stay strong for her but he himself didn't think they would make it.

" We have eaten real food in days! I want to shower and I want a bed. " She cried and put her hands onto her face, she sobbed and he did his best to comfort her.

But he couldn't. Because that's all he wanted too.

" Have faith that Anthony, Ian, the Squad or even Smosh Games, anyone, is gonna find us and save us. " He soothed her.

" I don't want to remember those emotions, those days of pure torture. It haunts me everyday. " Alexis sighed. She placed her head on his arm and he gladly accepted it. They looked at each other in the mirror again and smiled.

" We do make a cute couple. " He chuckled. She nodded her head and they stayed like that for a moment. He took his phone out and took a quick snapchat of them. He put it in his private story with the caption of 'home is where you are💓'.

He tried to put the caption where it hid her face, since she was tinier. He only did that to make not make it obvious.

But, he just didn't think about the outcome of this. We'll get back to that.

She removed herself and walked back out to the house she remembered. Everything was the same, except Anthony had removed all the pictures of them together. Maybe it would help him cope with the situation.

" Lexi, the real reason I'm here was because I wanted to talk to you. " He followed her to the kitchen. " I knew it was something. "

She sat on the stool by the counter and folded her arms together.

" I'm ready to be interrogated again. " She said, remembering the countless hours that she spent being questionned by cops, following the shooting.

" Why did you lie to us- Well mostly to me, about your memory? " He asked, sitting on the stool next to her. " Wow, starting that one off strong aren't you? " She took a deep breath.

" In the beginning, it was real. I didn't remember anyone or anything. Soon enough, that day I went to the office, I remembered a few things. " She looked at him but he told her to continue, " And as soon as Wes told me that everyone knew, everything came back to me. But it was too late. I was already a month and half in with my amnesia, I couldn't go back. "

He took in the information, putting the missing pieces of his puzzle into place.

" And why did you tell Noah all of sudden? " He asked her, putting his hands together on the counter. " It was hurting the ones I loved around me. Wes was in the hospital and then Emily- Emi? "

Shayne cut her off as soon as he heard the first sylable of her name. She nodded her head and looked at him.

" At the barbecue lunch. She asked me when was I gonna become your girlfriend again and it pained me to keep faking. So, I gave in. " She told him.

She turned to face him and grabbed his hands into hers.

" I'm so, so, so sorry for the things I've put you through ever since. I'm sorry I didn't remember you and I'm sorry I had to lie to you. I'm sorry that I wasn't a good enough girlfriend an-" He cut her off with a kiss.

" Lexi, " He pulled away momentarily, cupping her face, " Shut up. "

The rest of Smosh were just about to finish lunch. They were all on their phones, waiting for their receipts and digesting.

Mari looked over to Wes and showed him her phone. He took a closer look and he went onto his phone.

" Is that..? " She whispered to him. " I think it is. "

They kept replaying the story over and over again, trying to figure out if it was actually her. Mari was smart enough to pull up a picture from her library and she showed Wes. It was a picture of her in that same mirror, same background and Alexis on her side, making a silly face.

" What are you guys whispering on about over there? " Joven from the other side of the table asked the two. " Nothing! Just looking at games. " Mari answered quickly.

Joven's eyes lit up and he walked over to them to look at it with them.

" Oh, " He realised soon after that it wasn't games, " Oh no. Not again. " He whispered, pressing on Mari's phone to replay the story. Olivia looked at them since they were beside her, but they hid her phone.

" So Anthony, " Noah started and looked at him. He was sitting accross the table from Noah. " Was Alexis his appointement or what?  "

He put his phone up and everyone looked. There it was. Shayne's snapstory and everyone's sighs.

" This is a never ending drama. " Sohinki sat back, shaking his head and waited for it to unfold.