Chapter 8. Flying Lessons

The Slytherin Common Room was filled with excitement on the day of the Flying Lessons. Everyone around me was rhapsodising about the class and being able to play Quidditch for the house next year but I couldn't care less. I had never been interested in Quidditch.

While everyone stayed in the Common Room before breakfast, I went to the Owlery. I had written a letter to my parents asking them about Voldemort. I took the letter and left for the Owlery.

I had to look around only for a few seconds before I spotted my screech owl, Oracle. I gave her the letter and sent her to my parents. When I turned around to leave, I saw a girl in a corner with a snowy owl. Her back was towards me but I recognised her by her shoulder-length curly brown hair. It was Aurelia. For someone unknown reason, I called her something else instead of her actual name.

"Aura?" I called her.

She turned around, shocked. It seemed as if she was expecting someone else. Her expression changed when she realised it was me.

"Oh it's you! I thought...". Her face was filled with melancholy. She closed her eyes then looked back at me. "Why did you call me Aura?"

"I honestly don't know. It just felt like a better nickname than Lia."

"My mother used to call me Aura."

"Use to? Doesn't she now?"

"She's passed away two years back", she looked down and said softly.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

She nodded slightly. We sat in silence for I while. But curiosity was taking over me and I couldn't stay quiet.

"Um...do you mind...if I ask how she died?" I asked slowly.

Tears began flowing down her eyes and she closed them.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. You don't have to tell if you don't want to."

She wiped her tears, then looked at me.

"No, it's not that. Nobody ever asked how my mom died. They all believed what", then she paused for a second, "she said".

"Who's 'she'?"

"She was my father's colleague, Evangeline. One day she came to meet mom. I was upstairs, in my room but I could hear everything from down the hall. Mom was screaming at her, saying that she knew Evangeline wanted father to join her and her Death Eater friends and search for You-know-who. My father was one of them before he met mom, and Evangeline wanted him to come back. Mom and Evangeline were screaming and each other and the next moment..."

I gave her time and waited for her to reply.

"...green light. She performed the killing curse on mom. I couldn't do anything at all," she paused. "I told father that she killed mom but he didn't believe me. Evangeline made up a story about mom's death. I don't know what and I don't even want to know. "

Another minute of silence passed .

"I couldn't hug her for the last time... tell her that I loved her. Couldn't even say a last goodbye" she said , with every word getting softer.

My words had been trapped in my head. I couldn't think of anything to say to make her feel better. I knew every attempt would fail so I gave up.

"What happened to Evangeline?"

"She's my stepmother now." Her face was unreadable. "I live with my nan, far away from father and her."

I didn't know what to say or do so I simply hugged her. We talked about our families and random things for a while then went for breakfast.