Chapter VI

WE PULLED INTO THE mall parking lot, cruising for a parking space. I hated walking half a mile just to get to the doors. Michael and James followed us, and I saw his big white Chevy disappear from my rearview mirror. I figured Michael had pitched it into the first open spot or even took up like four spaces way out in the middle of nowhere just so his baby wouldn’t get dented or whatever. Typical guy.

“I can’t believe you just invited them like that. And you think it’s funny. Sure, laugh it up,” I said through gritted teeth.

“Airel, they’re like the hottest guys in school. Come on, lighten up.” 

I really wanted to harm her right there because I hated being told to lighten up, but I knew I had to drop it or the teasing would only get worse. Soon enough, she’d start in on how short I was, so I changed the subject and brought up James. That worked well. She began talking without breathing. James, James, James.

They had built the Boise Towne Square Mall in stages over the last twenty years, with the last renovation finishing up not too long ago. It had a much cooler entryway than before—new towers, skylights, and all the old-looking wooden handrails had been replaced by sleek metal and glass. Along with those changes had come some very cool and trendy new stores. Now it felt like we had a real mall, one that had finally entered the present. 

By the time we found our space and parked, the guys had walked up to my car. Kim was rattling on and on about James’ enormous sculpted arms. Michael opened my door for me, scaring me nearly half to death. The poor guy was just trying to be a gentleman, but in my fright I nearly blasted him with the pepper spray keychain my dad forced me to carry around.

Kim was in full-on flirt mode now, talking at—not with—James.

Michael was making me nervous, walking by my side as we headed toward the front entrance. James and Kim lagged behind a few feet. We went to the bookstore—my favorite place. I loved to sit there by the window, sipping my coconut latte and reading a good book. I preferred a good thriller and sometimes liked to defer my homework and take a weeknight every once in a while just to be by myself.

“So, how long have you lived here?” Michael looked at me with those eyes.

I kept my composure for once and decided that I should make the best of the situation. What choice did I have, anyway? Kim had sabotaged our day. Michael, apparently clueless to her wily ways, was agreeable to the conspiracy against me.

So I dove in. “I pretty much grew up here. I guess I like it, but I haven’t really lived anywhere else, so how should I know, right?” I pulled on a strand of my hair as I talked. I was very aware that I was doing it and that I only did it when I was nervous. I hated knowing my own habits while being unable to stop them.

“Cool,” he replied. “I’m the opposite. We move around a lot. My dad’s job takes him all over the country.” He looked at me again and said, “I hope we stay here for a while.” Michael was smooth; he didn’t seem uncomfortable or out of his element at all.

The thought of him not living in Boise, possibly moving away someday, sent a shock through me. Why should I care? I only just met the guy, and ever since, he’s made me sick—literally. I wondered if this was how love felt when it was real. I wondered if it was always this disruptive and uncomfortable while also being, at the same time, the manifestation of everything I never knew I’d always wanted. If so, then love was impossible. And what business do I have even considering these things?

I tried to come back down to reality. “What does your dad do?”

“He’s a private investigator. He handles high-profile cases for some major clients, so he’s out of town a lot. You remember the kidnapping last year? The Smithsons?”