Chapter 21

Barry and Cisco finished their rooftop conversation and both agreed that Y/N deserved to know and that they couldn't keep this information from her without her noticing. Little did they know that during their conversation Thawne had broken into S.T.A.R. Labs and spoken to Y/N.

Previously:

"What do you want?" Y/N asked as Thawne sped into the Cortex and stood in front of her. She was tired of fighting, and running...she wanted nothing more than to end this right here; right now.

"I want to kill you," Thawne simply replied.

"Then what are you waiting for?" Y/N asked. She wondered why he hadn't made a move on her yet.

"Because, as much as it pains me I need you. I can't kill you yet, you have a prophecy to fulfill before I can do that, and in the end...I won't even be the one to kill you."

 And with that, he left the building. Y/N was left there, she was confused about what he said, but it also worried her. "What could I do that would make Thawne 'need' me?" Y/N thought to herself. Then, Barry and Cisco both came into the Cortex; serious looks were on their faces.

Barry noticed that Y/N seemed shocked. He ran to her as she began shaking, Cisco followed.

"What's wrong?" Barry asked cupping Y/N's face in his hands looking into her eyes.

"Thawne, h-he was here," Y/N said. Barry wrapped her in his embrace as Y/N began to explain what happened. Cisco and Barry shared a look, and then they decided to tell her about Cisco's vibe earlier. This new information only made her more nervous of the future.

"So I'm gonna save the multiverse, but die doing so?" Y/N asked still stunned by the thought of what was to happen in the near future.

"No, you're not gonna die...we're gonna save you," Barry said tears forming in his eyes at the thought of losing her. "What happens if I save the multiverse instead of you," Barry proposed the idea looking at both Cisco and Y/N.

"Barry, you can't run 'that' fast," Cisco said thinking of the calculations in his head.

"I'm not just gonna let her sacrifice herself," Barry said getting up and walking toward Cisco. "There had to be another way there has to be something!" Barry yelled. He was upset at the fact that once again he was powerless to help someone he loved.

"Barry," Y/N getting up and walking over to him and grabbing his shoulders, "I'm okay Barry...if I die saving the multiverse at least it wouldn't have been for nothing, I could finally be free." 

"No...I am not just going to accept this, this is not okay," Barry said looking at her.

"Why not Barry, you're not the one that just found out she's destined to die." And with that Y/N exited the Cortex.

Barry continued shaking his head, he wasn't willing to accept her impending fate. He stormed out of Cortex; he needed to think....alone.

The next week:

Y/N and Barry didn't talk much ever since they both learned of what would happen in the future. Y/N missed him, but she understood that he didn't want to love someone who in the end would leave him. They talked rarely, only when needed in a fight against a meta, or sometimes small talk. Cisco, Caitlin, and Joe all knew that things were awkward, they assumed it would have been resolved by now, but it wasn't.

Everyone was in the Cortex after taking down Nimbus, then Joe finally spoke up.

"Barry, Y/N, we need to talk," Joe said walking towards them.

"About what?" Barry asked a little annoyed. He knew where this was going to go. He wanted to be with Y/N more than anything. They had been together for almost one year; he thought she wouldn't want to be together since it wouldn't last.

"You know what," Cisco said sitting at his desk.

"They're right, things have been weird ever since you both found out about the future," Caitlin said looking at both Barry and Y/N.

Barry turned to look at Y/N, she was looking at the ground. Y/N had been dreading this conversation, but she knew it would come eventually. Then Y/N noticed that Barry was staring at her, she looked at him. Tears began forming in both of their eyes, until they both sped into each other's arms. Both missing the other's touch and warm embrace.

"I missed you," Barry mumbled into Y/N's hair.

"I missed you too," Y/N said pulling him closer as she nuzzled her head further into his chest.