5- A Fairly Typical Morning

The next morning, Lorelei Carter lie awake in her hotel room beside Conrad. They had just gotten back from America a few hours ago. She had hardly slept through the night.

At this point, sleep almost felt like a waste of time

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

At this point, sleep almost felt like a waste of time. Even before her mother had committed suicide before her very eyes, and even within her embrace, Carter often  faced horrifying nightmares of figures with tragic and violent stories from her career in the DEO. Some of the figures were fellow agents who had fallen in a fight beside her, and the others were people whom Carter's assignment was to assassinate or torture. Her work in the DEO was not always pleasant. In fact, it was more often unpleasant than not. But Carter had been practicing controlling her dreams. It was fairly simple. All Lorelei had to do was fully and consciously(as far as dreams go) realize that she was dreaming, and then she would be free to do whatever she liked in her dream. In her nightmares, when she controlled them, Carter preferred to just kill the thing haunting her, using a gun. But if it was an explosive or a gas of some sort, she would either escape or diffuse it. Carter slowly got out of bed, careful not to wake Conrad since it was just past four in the morning. At any later time, Carter would have pulled the comforter completely off of the bed and push Conrad off. It wasn't considered rudeness to the pair, it was just waking up. But, they had an agreement as to how early they could wake each other up. The earliest was 4:30. It was now 4:17. Carter quietly kissed his cheek sweetly, which she only did on occasion, and walked over to her suitcase and pulled out her clean comfortable clothes for the day. She proceeded with her usual quick morning routine until she was ready. It was now only half past four. Carter didn't feel like waking Conrad, so she had decided to go on a run. She grabbed a pair of Beats wireless headphones and was out of the hotel. She decided to run at her fastest speed, about fifteen miles per hour. Working for the DEO required speed. Two hours later, Lorelei Carter arrived back at the hotel, panting. She had earlier decided to allow Conrad to sleep in, but his time was up now. It was already seven. Carter pulled the comforter off, causing Conrad to squirm, almost like a child. Carter smirked. She grabbed his arm and began pulling him off of the bed. This part was always somewhat difficult. Conrad woke just as he was maybe three seconds from hitting the floor.
  "I'm awake, I'm awake," he groaned.
  Carter released him instantly, leaving him in an awkward position leaning over the edge of the bed. "About time. It's nearly a quarter past seven."
  "Seven? Why did you wake me up so late?"

Seven in the morning was late to a former member of the Royal Army and to a former member of the DEO.
  "I went for a run," Carter replied, preparing for a shower. "I'm going to shower now, so if you need to go, go now."

Conrad sighed. He got up exhaustedly and walked over to the bathroom. Carter found the clothes she was wearing to the briefing for the expedition. They were nicer clothes, which was why Carter hadn't worn them on her run. Once she had everything, Conrad had finished in the bathroom.
  "I'll shower once you're done," he told her.
  Carter nodded in reply. "Alright. Hang the towel up when you're done with it."