Chapter Two

By the time the doctor and nurses finished getting her stable, visiting hours were up. So, I walked out of the hospital and drove home. When I got home, I walked into the kitchen. I looked around and saw my mother sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea while reading The Book Thief.

She looked up at me, smiling and said, “You’re home late.”

I sat at the table across from her and sighed. “Kamryn’s at the hospital,” I informed her.

She looked at me shocked, marked her page, and put her book down. “Why? What happened to her? Is everything all right?”

“I don’t know what happened. All I know is that she was passed out in the girls’ bathroom on the floor. After school, I went to visit her, but I didn’t get to see her long because her heart rate started slowing, again. They made me leave the room, and by the time they were done, visiting hours were up.” I looked down at the table and sighed softly.

“Anthony, hun. I know how it feels to have someone you love in the hospital. I’m sure Kammy will make it out. She’s a strong girl. Do you think she did it on purpose?”

“I have no clue, to be honest, mom. She might’ve. Her parents death is in about a month. She isn’t really acting like she normally does. Her aunt is worried about her, too. She called the school’s guidance counselor, and he called Kam down before homeroom. I have no clue what’s going on. I’ll try stopping by tomorrow after school.”

My mom nodded. “Alright. Just be careful. We’re supposed to get a storm starting around noon.”

“Really? What kind?”

“Just a regular rain storm. But, I don’t believe that. I think the temperatures might drop and it’ll be an ice storm. It’s still that time of year for temperatures to drop and give us ice.”

“True. And, the weather people have been lying. When they say bright and sunny, it ends up being dark and cloudy.” I smiled and laughed softly.

My mom smiled at me and pinched my cheeks saying, “There’s my Anthony.”

I pushed her hands away saying, “Mom. I’m not a little kid anymore.”

She smiled softly and said, “I know. I just wish you were. You were so cute as a kid. You’re growing up to be such a handsome young man.”

I blushed softly, smiling, and said, “Thanks, mom. I have to go do homework, now.”

“Alright. Dinner is going to be Chinese food tonight. What would you like?”

“How about Sweet and Sour Chicken with an egg roll.”

“Sure. Why do you get the Sweet and Sour Chicken if you don’t eat the sauce? That’s just chicken.”

“The sauce isn’t that good. The chicken is great by itself.” I got up and picked up my bag. I started walking to the stairs when my mom spoke, again.

“I never did say you were a normal child, Ant,” she said, using the name she always called me as a kid.

“I never signed anything agreeing to be normal, either. So, no normality for me!” I heard my mom laugh as I went up the stairs and to my bedroom. When I got to my bedroom, I closed the door and plopped on my bed, throwing my bag on the floor in the process.

I laid down and stared at the ceiling, thinking about what Kam might not have told anyone about that night her parents died. I really wanted to know what had really happened. It’s obviously bothering her that she hasn’t told anyone yet, so she’s bound to tell someone. Did she try killing herself? The thought popped up before I could stop it. That got me thinking.