Calm Before the Storm.

My favourite characters in league are Lux, Vi and Varus, this is a fanfiction about Varus because I love his story and would love to continue or develop it further. I can't guarantee that this fanfic will be 100% accurate but I will try, there's allot of backstory and research to do after all. XD

There once was a land known as Runeterra. In Runeterra there were great cities and nations. Two of these nations were Noxus and Demacia. These two nations were almost never at peace with one another. Demacia was known as 'The Light of Humanity' it prided itself on this title known as a just nation with high moral values and sworn to protect the good from the evil.
Noxus however is the complete polar opposite. In Noxus strength is valued above all else and those who hunger for power kill to gain it. There are no morals and crimes like murder are even praised.
Naturally a difference such as this lead to war, a war that lasted for years and ravaged Runeterra all over.
Our story does not begin on mainland Runeterra however it begins on an island country not far from mainland Runeterra, this islands name is Ionia.

Ionia was caught up in the war between Noxus and Demacia when Noxus invaded and slaughtered hundreds of Ionian's. Ionia offered little resistance to Noxus but what resistance they did offer was quickly brushed aside.
This is the story in the early days of the Noxus invasion of Ionia and the story of one man who fought the evil of Noxus with all his might, one of the few who stood a chance.

In the inland of Ionia there was a small village, most of the houses in this village were made from stone bricks with straw roofs. in this village a man named Varus lived peacefully with his family, a wife and a young daughter.
Varus' family had lived in and protected this village for generations. Varus was an incredible archer, the likes of which Ionia had never seen in its recorded history, yet despite his skills Varus believed like most Ionian's that peace should always be preferable over war.

At the young age of twenty Varus had been chosen because of his incomparable skill with a bow and unquestioned sense of honour to guard a temple near his village in which a terrible and powerful dark magic resided, sealed away. This terrible, dark magic was known as the Pit of Pallas.
Whomever entered this pit would be overcome with darkness and be controlled, forced into the service of evil forever.
Varus would guard both his village and the pit for all of his life until one fateful day during the siege from Noxus...

'Daddy I hurt my knee!'' A small child shouted.
Varus knelt down to his young son. Varus was a bit above average height. He had long brown hair and a strong frame. He wore a white shirt and brown pants.
'Let me take a look son.' Varus said gently.
The little boy lifted up the left leg of his pants and showed Varus his knee.
'That's a nasty one.' Varus said acting, the leg really had a tiny graze.
'It's not infected? it won't need to be cut off will it?'
'No not infected, but cursed! This curse can only be broken by making a promise to your dad.'
'What is it? what is it?'
'You need to promise to be more careful.'
'I promise, I promise!' The little boy shouted jumping into Varus' arms.
'I'll be more careful daddy.'
Varus kissed his son on the forehead. 'Better?'
'Better.' His son replied wiping his tears away.
Varus ruffled his sons hair as he ran off to play again.

The village had mostly wooden houses except for the elders whose house was fairly large and made of stone.
Varus' own house was made of stone at the base but had wooden walls and floors.
The front door opened behind Varus and his wife stepped out.
She was about the same height as Varus and had longer brown hair. She wore a dress that was brown and long, it was old and had signs of its age but over all was still in good condition.
'Are you patrolling the temple grounds today?' She asked.
'Yes, I should be back just before dark.' Varus smiled.
'Don't forget your bow.'
Varus' wife handed him a bow and quiver from behind the door. He slung them over his back and kissed his wife.
'I'll see you in a few hours.' He smiled.