Only One

Author's note.

This started as something written for a writing prompt a friend posted. Thought I'd put it in here. Hope you enjoy!

*****

The ominous cloud of mischief in her hazel eyes disturbed him in a way he could not put his finger on, causing his usually tranquil inner being to roll like a storm was brewing.

Her subtle laughter dancing in them like azure flames licked over the waves of calm that were his sanctuary, evaporating what little self control he had left and he crossed the room, slamming his staff down on the desk, causing several stacks of books to tumble down. The smile in her eyes travelled down to her lips and she looked up at him, not even feigning innocence.

From the instant she had come into the library she had been making one ruckus or another but he hadn't said anything as she somehow had access to the sacred tomes, and only the most important and powerful of Users had such privileges.

Despite having been Sorceror Magnus for several decades, there were still a great many powerful users I'm the galaxy he had not yet met, and offending any of them could well be problematic.

After having put up with her for far too long, he was ready to toss diplomacy to the wind and toss her out.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Sorcerer Magnus?"

Her voice oozed sarcasm but he noted her hand tightening around what he could only imagine to be her sorcerer's rune with wanted anxiety. He summoned the object from her, stopping mid incantation as he felt a subtle nudge against his magic followed by a fierce resistance. No one had ever been able to fight his magic, but here she was, doing so without even thinking.

"Who are you?"

She shrugged off his question, standing up, the top of her head not even passing his breast, despite he himself being a short man of 5"4. She jumped up onto the chair to look him in the eyes and the unsettling feeling returned, stronger this time, the small flame now a roaring blaze consuming the silent home of his magic, almost suffocating him. He tried to reach for his power and thrust it back at her but she laughed as he did and he realised what she was doing, but all too late as she drank down his power.

"I'm Magi Ultima. And you, are a fool."

She leaned in closer, pressing her lips to his, drinking down the last of his magic, dropping the dry husk left behind.

"One down. Infinity to go. Only one can be All Powerful after all."

She turned around, opening a new portal, her magic hunting down the next User who claimed the title of most powerful User in their star realm. whistling a ditty she had picked up on a living planet a few star realms back.

She chuckled as she found her next target, an unsuspecting mortal of a species called human, staring into a screen before them, reading her very story. How ironic.

"This is going to be too easy."