10

Our laughs mingled as we emerged from the back entrance of the Golden Heights Hotel five hours later. The sun had settled down for the night and the air was hot and soft, bringing summer's breeze across our bare skin. "You look dashin' tonight, Tony," Vincent repeated for the millionth time. It still made me blush, however, and I ducked my head shyly, letting my dark brown hair tumble forwards to hide the side of my face. I jumped when Vincent's hand gently brushed it back, and when I looked back up, he was watching me with a pleasant look in his eyes. "Promise me that you won't ever cut your hair as short as all the other women seem to be doin' nowadays," he said through a mild smile. I shrugged and leaned in, uttering in a teasing tone.

"I'm afraid that they might come after me with torches and pitchforks if I dare be different."

"I always enjoy savin' a dame in distress," Vincent threw back playfully, offering his arm. I flashed a wide smile and sneaked my hand into the crook of it. "Now," he said after we'd walked in peaceful silence down the busy road of Madison Avenue for a minute or two. "Are you ready to be blown away by the best jazz music in New York City?" Excitement grew and unfolded over my nerves, making me all jittery with impatience. When I eagerly nodded, Vincent laughed and swiftly turned our course so that we moved away from the main road and dived into a somber side alley. The brick was grimy and old, and it smelled much worse than out there, but the flashing neon sign a few feet away managed to keep me on my toes with excitement.

"I've never been to one of these places," I half-whispered, huddling closer to Vincent as we approached a group of cheering, ossified men. Vincent swept over the ruckus with a calm look before settling back on me with an easy smile. But there was a new edge in his kind eyes as we passed the loud men. The entrance was closer now.

"This is the best juice joint on the East Coast, in my opinion-" Vincent began with a proud puff of his chest. Suddenly, a loud whistle cut him off and we halted and turned our heads, just as one of the men detached himself from the group in a languid pace. The white male laughed at something that his buddies had said before stumbling over towards us with a disgusting glint in his eyes. He let his drunken gaze run up and down Reina's sparkly, knee-length and straight-lined, emerald dress that I'd borrowed for the evening. But then he swept over Vincent, watching him with disdain.

"Eyyyyyy, we've got ourselves a spade, boys," he called back, watching us with blurry eyes as he stumbled forward and caught himself on Vincent's helpful arm. "Don't touch me, negro," the man spat, squaring up his shoulders and narrowing his eyes. I stepped closer to Vincent as the man sputtered. "He givin' ya trouble doll?" he slurred, taking a step towards me. Vincent unlaced our arms to push me partially behind him just as the drunk reached towards me with glassy eyes and a toothy grin. The adrenaline started pumping through my body as I stumbled back to escape his grasp, but my heel caught at a tiny pothole in the road and I flew backward. The breath was knocked out of me as my back hit the hard concrete and my vision grew black before my eyes. 

"Tony!" I heard above me, and suddenly the priorities set in and I fought past the dizziness to lift myself slowly and hastily rearranged my dress. Just then, the drunk man swung for Vincent's jaw. A gasp escaped my lips as Vince's head snapped to the side and a loud cracking noise echoed all over the alley. Some passersby stopped to stare before hurrying on towards the 72 Club as if nothing had happened. Shock poured straight through me as Vincent shook his head before crouching down beside me as if he hadn't just been clocked in the jaw. His kind eyes found my face and scanned my arms for any signs of injury at the same time that his flesh was swelling up rapidly. 

"Vincent-" I began with bewilderment, but he cut me off with a sad smile. 

"Who do you think the police would believe?" he asked in a dejected voice. My eyes widened as disbelief clouded my senses.