Chapter 1

Author's note: This story was written many years ago. It was one of the first I have ever worked on. I still love this story and believe it, although my style has changed a lot since then, and I can safely safe, I've grown a lot as a writer. 

Now that that's out of the way, I hope you enjoy White Masquerade as much as I enjoyed writing it!

~ Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see her cry.

Her eyes flame crimson with sorrow as she closes her book and stares right in the open. I immediately back away through the branches and support my legs against the thickest one. One thin stem decides to jump into my eye and I immediately lose balance. Thanks to the quick reflex I have grown accustomed to, I immediately grasp onto a large log of wood and keep myself steady.

A few leaves fall onto the ground, and Elisabeth adjusts her seat on her armchair. She stands up and makes her way to the porch to stare at the tree.

Did she see me? There is no way. I'm standing way between the thick branches and the leaves that even her breathing is barely audible.

I relax back and listen carefully to her heartbeats. They're accelerating and her mind is racing. I close my eyes and a picture of a young girl, with brown eyes smiling, takes over my darkened sight.

I feel my hands going numb and I almost lose balance again.

A few days from now is the anniversary of her son's birth, and her best friend's death.

She lost her friend at the same day her son was born eighteen years ago. And she never stops blaming herself for it. Even though a life was taken, another was born. The balance is still there.

I don't understand why she still drowns herself in all this guilt eating on her youth.

*Nineteen years ago*

My parents have already gotten out of the house to bring extra supplies before the big storm. It was January and I have been preparing for my midterms. Howard U. High is the local school every kid of Heaven Bridge goes to. Getting my scholarship for Manchester Metropolitan University wasn't coming easily. I had to study day and night for that thing I almost lost contact with my friends.

As I was about to finish the tenth chapter in my math book, someone knocked on the door cutting my chain of thoughts.

As soon as the door swung open, Elisabeth was standing at my doormat, hands on her belly, her glossy eyes threatening to cry, and wet hair from the rain that had been pouring for hours.

"What happened to you?" I asked her wide-eyed and helped her in.

She didn't speak, or make any gesture to tell me she's alright. Instead, she made her way to the couch and sat there hugging her belly again. Why is she- Oh no.

"Beth..." I started but she lifted her hand to cut me off.

I sat next to her, hand on her shoulder patting it.

"I just finished my first month." She finally spoke in such a feeble voice I was starting to get scared. "I tried to convince myself that it wasn't happening when I didn't get my period on time. But I didn't want to believe it. Until I finally took the test and here I am. Quill dumped my ass, my parents kicked me out..." Before she could finish a loud sob came out of her swollen mouth as she broke down into my arms.

I wanted to say 'I told you so'. I wanted to remind her of the times I tried to pull her back from sleeping with that asshole.

I remember the countless times I warned her that he was using her, but she was too far lost in his black eyes to even listen to me.