Chapter 7

Kojo's Pov

I could not believe my eyes. Kia had just left my home. And what was she there to do, talk about Dembe. How fascinating! I knew that Dembe could not have sent her because Kia is known to do things in her own when she sets her mind to it. Did she tell Kia that she also loved me?  If not,why then had she come to warn me?

I knew that girls gossiped about me but I never imagined Dembe doing it. Did she smile when she mentioned my name? Was she restless when she talked about how I looked? My features? I mean, I am good looking. :-)
I could not wait to see her, so I did the first thing that came to my mind.

"Dembe!  D! "  I shouted as I ran into her homestead.
I could not see her, so I went to the back of the house and sure enough, she was there.

"What! What. Are. You. Doing. Here? "

The look of surprise on her face made her look even more beautiful. This girl was definitely going to kill me, with her beauty of course, and that glint of anger in her eyes.

"D, I just came to... "

"You just came to do what? Who told you you could just run here anytime you wish? Are you on a suicide mission? "

Before I could decide which question to answer first, another voice interrupted.

"Dembe, who are you talking to instead of doing what I asked you to? "

"No-one, Mama. "   No-one?  Well, the ring in her voice made me forget that she just said I was no-one.

"OK, say hello to 'no-one 'for me. Kojo, greet your mother when you get home. "  she said laughing.

"Yes, Maa "    

The woman was quite a character but I was there for her daughter who now looked very uncomfortable.

"Ignore my mother. I will talk to you later, at the stream. "

"Our spot? "
I was trying to sound funny, but clearly it was not. The look she gave me was enough to kill, so I ran off.
But not without leaving her with one my charming winks. ;-)

Dembe's  pov

How could he even think of coming to my home? He was really crazy, thigh I kind of liked that kind of crazy. Kojo better have something important to tell me or did he just started want to scare me to death and draw Mama's attention to himself?  Not clever at all.

For the next few minutes after Kojo left, I kept hearing Mama mumble to herself and then she would suddenly burst out and laugh. Was the woman even sane?

"Mama, it is not that funny, you know. "

"Is it not? I liked his courage though. His determination just drained me of all the energy I would have used to break those legs of his. And yes, I was watching the two of you. "

"Mama!  How could you?! "

"Do not tell me he has already taken over your mind that you do not remember this is my husband's house? "
She laughed again, Just to annoy me.