Chapter 24

Mulutu's pov

"Move over, man. I also need to sleep. "

It was Kojo.
He was into this habit of coming late to sleep and as annoying as he can get, he wakes me up all the time. No matter how hard I tried to get angry at him, I just could not. The boy simply had his ways.

"Why do you have to sleep late every night and wake me up all the time? I need enough sleep, you know. We both do. "

Even in the darkness of the night, I could clearly see Kojo's teeth.
Why was he smiling so stupidly like a Cheshire cat?

"And why are you smiling that? For reality's sake, Kojo, we are going to the battlefield tomorrow and from my understanding, it is nothing to smile about. "

"You are right, Mulutu, we are going to the battlefield tomorrow and that is why I want to smile all I can right now, because there will not be a chance for that tomorrow. "

What was wrong with the boy?
Never before had words so full of wisdom flown out of his mouth like that.
Truly, the fear of death can really change a person.

"I have a feeling that you have something else to say, so out with it already. "

"Well, Lutu, I want you to make me a promise that tomorrow we will both come back alive, for the sake of the ones we love."

"Kojo! You do not have to sound so sentimental. You will make me look bad. Soft. "

I was only joking around with his thoughts and I knew that he got me.
Frankly, I also needed that assurance.
The thought of being out there was scary in itself.
During the past weeks, we had been in camp, training and sharpening our skill while other men went out to fight. Tomorrow was our day.

"Anyway, I am only pulling your leg. I promise to make it back alive tomorrow. After all, I am yet to win Kia's heart. "

The look on Kojo's face was priceless.
It was like that was the only thing he had been waiting to hear all night.

"I can see that you are relieved. Can I now sleep? "

I really needed to catch some sleep before the first sun ray cut through the dark skies.

"No. Not yet. I want you to know that I just had a discussion with Amare about Dembe. He approves. "

Of course he approves. Amare loved his sister and even though Kojo's previous reputation is not exactly flattering, he knew that he was the right person for her.
He knew that he had changed for the better.

I was not very fond of Amare, but at least the both of us could exist together. He was after all the reason Kia never looked my way.
He had the kind of confidence that I found really hard to exude and as a result he had a great chance of getting the one and only girl my heart beats for.
I did not blame him though and as a result, I could not hate him.
I believed sons of the soil had to stand together.

"Oh! It is really great if he is okay with your relationship.
I also very happy for you. You better name your first son after me. "