XXXV. Emotions on High

Jasper, Rosalie, and Emmett fought with Edward when Edward and Rosalie came home from the hospital. They suggested that it was time to leave Washington to protect the family, but Edward would not listen to reason.

Alice sided with Edward; she was always most supportive of him. Esme wanted him to do whatever he had to in order to stay. Melaina stayed quiet throughout the argument. Jasper was too riled up himself to keep her calm.

It was the worst Cullen family fight that she had witnessed, and she was growing more anxious as the afternoon wore on.

"It won't happen again," Edward insisted for the third time.

"It sure as hell won't," Rosalie snapped. Her eyes were nearly solid black.

Emmett muttered a colorful word and it wasn't purple. "We need to leave before they realize the truth," he said.

"It isn't necessary to leave!" Edward growled in frustration.

"This isn't new for us. We've had to move before."

"But not because you basically gave our secret away!" Rose said scathingly to Edward. Shivers crawled up Melaina's skin. She had never seen Rosalie so angry. "How could you do such a thing?"

"You've put us all in danger, Edward. Intentionally or not," Emmett said grimly.

"I know, okay? I didn't think of what would happen to us! I just knew I had so save her."

"You never think! You listen to everyone else's thoughts, but you never have any decent thoughts of your own!" Rosalie tried to tear him apart with her words.

"Would you just shut up?" Edward growled. "She swore she wouldn't say anything to anyone, and she hasn't!"

"Not yet she hasn't," Emmett said with a worried frown. Mel didn't like seeing him so serious; she felt like the best part of him was currently stuffed deep inside.

"It's only been a few hours," Melaina reminded Edward. She feared being taken from her new family if the world around them realized the truth. "Once she gets over the shock, she might say something..."

"She won't," Edward insisted.

"You're taking a human's word for it?!" Jasper said, outraged. Anger shot through Melaina's body and she clenched her fists tightly. Jasper noticed a moment later and tried to reign in his emotions for the sake of the others.

"We have no other choice!"

"Then we have no choice. We have to leave Forks." Jasper started dishing out orders: "Call Carlisle, Edward. Explain yourself to him. Alice, take Melaina upstairs and help her pack. I'll pack our things. Rosalie and Emmett, you can pack your things."

Mel bit her lip as Alice moved to her side. Everything was happening so fast. If they had all been human, Melaina would have suggested sleeping on it and coming to a decision tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

"Jasper, this is ridiculous. We should talk to Carlisle first."

Alice spaced out with her hand outstretched to Mel. She blinked her gold eyes and returned to the present. "He left work and will be here in two minutes."

Melaina realized suddenly that those words were the first Alice had spoken since the arguments began when they stepped through the front door. Mel figured that Alice had seen the outcome, but the seer wasn't sharing those details.

Instead of taking Mel to her room, Alice took the girl's hand and sat next to her on the couch to wait for Carlisle.

They sat in strained silence. The only sound was Melaina's quick breathing. She was self-conscious of that fact, but what could she do? She licked her lips uncomfortably.

Carlisle arrived from the hospital and took in the tense atmosphere. He remained calm and asked Edward to explain what he had done. Bella had explained her part in the hospital, now Carlisle needed to hear Edward's side of the story.

Edward barely finished speaking before Rosalie was angrily shouting again. "This is all because of you! We all have to leave because you're selfish!" She glared at her youngest brother. "We could have been happy here!"

"You're never happy anywhere! All you do is complain!"

"You're no better! It's not my fault you don't have a mate!"

"Rosalie!" Carlisle admonished.

"It's the truth, Carlisle! I wasn't good enough for him. He wants better. He's greedy."

"Rose." Emmett tugged her to him. She pulled away. "No, this is stupid. You are an idiot, Edward. All of this is your fault!"

"I acted impulsively, I know, but I do not regret saving her."

"You're going to get us all hunted down by the Volturi," Rosalie hissed. Emmett drew her protectively against his body.

"Don't even bring up those fools--"

"Edward."

"Sorry, Carlisle. But really, this has nothing to do with the Volturi. I didn't expose us. She doesn't know what really happened."

"She saw it," Mel said quietly. "She's persistent. I heard her asking for the truth. She tried asking me for the truth, and I lied for you."

"Do you think I'm just going to tell her? 'Oh, hey, Bella. What you saw that day I saved you? Yeah, it's because I'm a vampire. Fangs? No, no fangs.'"

"Dammit, Edward! This is serious!" Rosalie shouted.

"I am being serious! And I think you are seriously overreacting," Edward said.

"Why can't you leave her alone?" Jasper asked tightly.

"Why must you all stand in the way of my happiness?" Edward spat back.

"Are you willing to pay the price of that? The cost of your family?" Rosalie hissed.

Edward ran a pale hand through his unruly copper hair. "You could be supportive!" His voice seemed almost more frustrated than angry.

"Of you with a human? Do you not hear yourself?" Rosalie said, exasperated.

"We want you to be happy, Edward," Esme said softly. "Do whatever you must to stay with us. We're your family through thick and thin."

Rosalie scoffed. "Except when your happiness tears this family apart."

Jasper spoke up. "Carlisle, our best option is to leave. For our safety and hers."

Carlisle had his hands crossed in front of him. His elbows rested on his knees as he sat forward and gazed at the family he brought together. No matter what answer he gave, someone would be unhappy. That was the tough side of being the leader, but Carlisle trusted Edward. His gold eyes met his son's when he made the decision.

"Jasper, maybe we can let Edward handle this. If the time comes and we have to leave, we will." Carlisle gave Edward the benefit of the doubt. "If anything happens, we're gone. For now, we will see how this plays out."

"This would have been solved instantly if you had let her die when she was supposed to."

Everyone paused at Rosalie's malicious words.

"Enough, Rosalie," Carlisle warned. "The decision is final. Understood?"

Rosalie growled and stood, tugging Emmett up with her.

"Understood?" Carlisle repeated firmly.

"Fine," Rosalie snapped. She and Emmett were gone in a flash.