Journey to Tortuga

Sorry if it seems rushed, it is just a brief explanation on how Jack got to Tortuga.

Jack (OC) POV

I hate nobles. All these big ceremonies and funny clothes. Why do you have to wear a wig everyday, it looks so wrong! There is only one good thing about nobles and their ceremonies, pickpocketing.

With all of their attention on the guy who's getting promoted or whatever I can easily take whatever I want. Sure I have to get past the guards and stuff, it is a bit harder then snatching at a public execution but the prizes are so much better.

I don't even know what this ceremony is for today but I don't care. If it means I get a chance at a warm meal I'll be there.

I sneaked around taking various items from the guests' pockets, ducking behind people and staying out of sight. A scraggly looking teenager in dirty peasant clothes isn't exactly common in a place like this. Like I said slightly harder than hangings.

All the richies (that's what I call them) were mingling around, congratulating this guy in a funny hat and simply presenting an easy target. I'd already scored roundabout 7 shillings and trust me that is plenty in a homeless kid's life.

Then there was a loud splash and all the guards ran to the guy in the funny hat who was shouting over the edge of the wall. I snatched a few more things and ran off, making my escape.

I made my way to the lower town, down an ally way and into my home. My home wasn't much, it is basically a forgotten basement. It was a basement of an old house which had burnt down. When they rebuild the house they left the basement to the rats. I found it by tripping and falling through a hole in the lower wall while trying to get away with my piece of bread when I was 6. It has been my home/base ever since.

I set the pouch of money down and sat down on the damp blankets that were my bed. I then continued to count my earnings.

§§§&§&§TIMESKIP§&§&§§§

I had 11 shillings, just enough to get a hot meal. I was getting up to leave when Scruff ran in. Scruff is my companion. He is a dog who kept me warm as a child and we have helped each other and stayed together ever since.

He put his nose to my hand and licked my palm. He wanted the keys.
Funny enough Scruff had managed to get a job. He was the key keeper at the dungeon. He would keep the keys and bring them to his "owner" -one of the guardsmen at the dungeon- whenever they caught a pirate or prisoner. He would stay there and be fed. Often the prisoners would try to get him to give him the keys. Scruff would always return here at night and would sometimes leave the keys here for safe keeping.

I gave him the keys and he ran off with them in his mouth. Maybe I would be able to score a few more shillings tomorrow.

I got up and headed for the tavern bringing the pouch of coins.

§§§&§&§TIMESKIP§&§&§§§

This was good. The last hot meal I ate had been about a month ago and now I was eating almost an entire chicken!

I had just finished when I heard cannon fire and the whole building shook. I stumbled to my feet and ran outside. I couldn't see a thing from in the street so I climbed up onto one of the roofs of the buildings. What I saw was scary but strangely energizing. There was a lone ship firing at the wall and town. In fact one was headed for the building right in front of me.

It exploded and some debris hit me in my stomach, knocking the air out of me and blowing me back off the building. I hit the floor with a thud. I pushed myself up, I felt dizzy but that was the extent of my injuries. I got up off the floor and made for my home to get the sword I stole from the blacksmith about 3 years ago. Loads of people were running around screaming and I soon saw why, a band of pirates were charging through the streets striking down whoever stood up to them and grabbing anything valuable.