Reminiscing

I sat in the living room in silence as everyone went about their business. Rosita was in the dining room with a fishing kit she found in the house next door and used it stitch up the cut on Abraham's hand. Rick was upstairs giving Judith a much needed bath. Carol was in the kitchen with Sasha and Maggie preparing dinner with a few cans of vegetables Tyreese and Glenn found in a house the next street over. Carl and Noah were trying their hands in a game of poker, using  play money Tyreese and Glenn found on their run. Daryl and Michonne left shortly after Beth's funeral to go to this place called Candler Lake Island that Daryl saw on the map. He figured he could take some fishing supplies with us and bring back some fish or whatever he can kill with his bow.

     Beth's funeral was depressing. We buried her beside the swing under the tree. Gabriel, of course, did a sermon for her and Maggie bawled the entire time, who could blame her though, that was her sister, her only blood left, and now she's gone. Beth and I grew closer at the prison. She showed me what it was like having a sister. And as much as I hated to admit it, I had fun.

~BEGIN FLASHBACK~

     "Michaela," Hershel called out to me as he hobbled up to the cell door. "Did ya take  your medicine?"

     "Yep, took it right after dinner." I answered.

     "I reminded 'er, daddy." Beth smiled.

     "Thank you, hon." Hershel smiled. "So, what is all this?"

     "I told Michaela back at the farm that she and I would have a sleepover."

     "Why? Don't see each other enough through the day?"

     "She never had one before. She was an only child and never stayed in school long enough to make friends. I told 'er I was gonna show 'er what it's like to have a sister."

     "Well, you two have fun. I'm gonna turn in."

     "Good night, Hershel." I smiled.

     "Good night, daddy." Beth smiled as well.

     "Good night, girls." Hershel grabbed onto his crutches and hobbled away to his cell.

     "Ugh." I groaned.

     "What?" Beth asked.

     "Him callin' us girls. It's weird. I was always just hon, sweetheart, bitch, or Michaela."

     "But you are a girl."

     "He don't know what I got." Beth and I laughed. "Alright, so what is first on the list of things to do at a sleepover?"

     "Well, the only sleepover I went to we just talked about boys and stupid stuff while we did each other's hair and makeup."

     "Boys?" I chuckled. "What are we, fifteen?"

     "Tonight we are." Beth beamed with excitement.

     "I've never did anyone's hair before. I usually leave my hair down or just put it in a pony tail."

     "Ya don't know how to braid?"

     "No, but I know how to tie knots and make paracord bracelets. I learned in art class when I was a kid."