•••

"will you promise to write?"
Natasha asked, her eyes pleading with Andrey.

He smiled gently at the young girl he was so fond of.
Taking her hands in his, he nodded

"Of course my darling, of course."

From his pocket, he pulled a lovely gold chain with a simple locket attached.
He slipped it over her neck, a soft smile on his lips the entire time.

Natasha let out a small giggle, an affectionate grin finding its way onto her face.

A comfortable silence filled the room, as the couple just smiled at each other with adoration.

"Thank you."
Natasha finally spoke, breaking the silence.

He placed a firm kiss on her soft lips, and held her face in his hands for a moment.

"I shall return and marry you."

He spoke with such vigor and determination.
The two had been engaged for sometime now, but the wedding would have to wait.

Both did not know if they could possibly handle waiting another moment longer,
but they would have to try.

Andrey's service in the war was being called for,
so of course, he complied with the orders of his drafting into the army.

Natasha leaned into his touch, not prepared to let go for a year.
She would miss him so dearly.

Placing a final peck on her nose, Andrey's soft smile revealed a glimmer of sadness.
He turned to leave, the sad glint in his eyes more evident than ever.

Tears streamed down Natasha's face, as she watched her Fiancé depart,
for what was sure to be a long year.

The servants opened the wide doors,
and with a deep breath, Andrey swiftly walked out, not wanting to look back.
He held back tears, trying to maintain his stoic, poised composition.

Before he left to join the troops, he had one more stop to make.

He mounted his horse and took off.
After what seemed like years, he finally arrived at the steps of his friend's mansion.

Andrey smiled sadly up at the familiar building, where he spent many of his nights with his dear Pierre.

He dismounted the horse, and the servants immediately opened the doors for him, recognizing him right away.
They led him to the living room, where Pierre sat, engulfed in a book.

He looked up from his book, and his eyes immediately lit up.

"Andrey!"
He exclaimed, a large grin forming on his lips.

The servant left them, and Andrey quickly rushed toward his friend, and warmly embraced him.

Pierre melted into Andrey's touch, allowing Andrey to clutch him tightly.
They stayed like that for a moment, both so grateful for one another.
They gently broke apart, their eyes locked together.

Neither of them wanted to acknowledge the fact that Andrey would be gone by morning.
They wanted to forget, and just indulge in love as though tomorrow didn't exist.

But that, was sadly unrealistic.

"I leave tonight..."

Andrey whispered, gripping Pierre's hand tightly.

Pierre's face fell, the dawning realization eating away at his excitement.

Pierre squeezed Andrey's hand tighter, shaking his head.

"I-I'll poor us a drink."
Pierre offered, trying to  change the subject.

It was easier to just ignore it, than face it head on.