chapter two

The prisoners swarmed out of the drop ship, brushing past Octavia and Cassie. They embraced cheerfully and warmth filled Cassie's body. Octavia pulled away and disappeared within the crowd. Cassie lost sight of her friend, but in that moment, she wasn't worried.

"I never thought we'd be here together." A hand snaked around her waist and pulled her close to a chest. She glanced upwards to find Bellamy staring down at her. His mouth stretched into a smile and for once, she couldn't be mad at him. She let him wrap his arms around her waist and lift her up. The sunlight felt amazing on her face as she wrapped her legs around Bellamy's waist and leant back, letting him hold her as she relaxed in the sun.

"We need to talk." Bellamy broke her from her thoughts.

"Not now, Bellamy. Just relax for once." Her voice was soft as she opened her eyes and met his. The corner of her mouth quirked up as Bellamy spun her around. She let out a holler before Bellamy put her down. Her chest rose rapidly as she took in the fresh air. Bellamy leant down and rested his forehead against hers. He was so close, she could feel his warm breath blowing lightly into her face.

Green surrounded her as Cassie walked through the bush, scouting the area. Bellamy followed a few steps behind. "I thought you were dead."

Cassie stopped and turned around, leaning back against a tree. "Pretty sure I'm alive."

Bellamy scoffed and mimicked her actions, folding his arms over his chest. "I thought you had been floated."

Cassie's gaze flickered to the floor and her smile faltered for a moment before returning to Bellamy, a cocky smirk on her face. "Oh please, I'm way too pretty to die."

Bellamy chuckled. "Well, you're not wrong. Look at you, rising from the dead like a pretty little phoenix."

Cassie laughed and spotted Octavia across the clearing. She jogged over to her best friend, leaving Bellamy behind.

Octavia laughed beside Cassie as they stared at their surroundings. Bellamy jogged up to them, and it was then that she noticed he was wearing a guard uniform. She hadn't seen him in that in a long time. She bit her lip as he noticed her staring. "Long story."

Something Wells Jaha said must've caught his attention because he spoke up, "We're on the ground. That not good enough for you?"

Wells looked around and let out a breath before approaching the trio. Cassie folded her arms and watched as he walked. "We need to find Mount Weather. You heard my father's message, that needs to be our first priority."

"Screw your father." Cassie growled, as the newly freed prisoners started to gather around them. Octavia stood beside Cassie, their faces holding the same frustrated expression.

"What, you think you're in charge here, you and your little princess?" Cassie stifled a laugh at Octavia's nickname for Clarke.

As always, Clarke was quick to retaliate, "Do you think we care who's in charge? We need to get to Mount Whether, not because the Chancellor said so but because the longer we wait, the hungrier we'll get and the harder this'll be. How long do you think we'll last without those supplies?"

Cassie had to admit, Clarke wasn't wrong. They'd need food, and quickly.

"We're looking at a 20-mile trek, ok? So if we want to get there before dark, we need to leave now."

Cassie nodded along and she started to step forward, but Bellamy's hand gripped her arm, holding her back. "I got a better idea. You two go, find it for us. Let the privileged do the hard work for a change."

Cassie rolled her eyes, this isn't what they needed right now. She pulled her arm away from Bellamy and stepped forward. "If you want to go I'll come with you." She offered.

"No, you won't. You owe them nothing." Bellamy protested, glaring down at her. His stern expression didn't faze her, she had known the boy since childhood.

"One, you don't own me Bellamy. Two, I owe my stomach. So just try and stop me." She met his glare with her own.

"We all need to go." Wells declared. John Murphy pushed the boy, but Cassie didn't flinch as Wells nearly bumped into her.

"Look, it's the Chancellor of Earth." Murphy quipped.

"Think that's funny?" Wells retorted.

Murphy kicked out Wells' ankle, sending him sprawling to the ground. Cassie glanced back at Bellamy to stop them, but he was smirking. She rolled her eyes and helped up Wells, but he was hobbling now. Murphy braced himself for a fight, and Wells did the same. Cassie stood in front of Wells, sizing up Murphy.

"Really Cas, you're gonna stand up for him?" Murphy jeered, his eyes narrowing at her.

"Don't call me that." She growled. Murphy rolled his shoulders and raised his fists and Cassie did the same. "If you're gonna fight, at least wait until it's fair."

For now, Murphy backed off. The crowd disbanded and Bellamy strode up to Cassie. He gave her a disapproving look. "Next time, give the people what they want and please don't start getting into fights again."

Cassie rolled her eyes and started to stroll away. She turned back around and shrugged her shoulders, "It's my speciality, remember?"

Bellamy scoffed and turned his back on her. Cassie chuckled, "Oh, and Bellamy?"

He turned around, a scowl on his face.

"Bite me." Her jaw clenched as she started to walk backwards, widening the distance between her and Bellamy. His scowl melted and turned into a cocky smirk. "Where?"