chapter five

The prisoners hollered around the campfire they had created as Cassie stood beside Bellamy, watching as Murphy wrenched the wristband off a girl. She didn't really care that the Ark would think they were dying, after all, what had they ever done for her? Stripped her of her freedom, her parents, her childhood and her best friends.
The wristband came free and the group yelled victoriously. "Who's next?" Bellamy yelled from next to Cassie, glancing around at the kids. Cassie squeezed Bell's hand and disappeared into the crowd. All the yelling and testosterone coming from Bell was starting to give her a headache. She picked up her bow-in-progress and sat down away from the fire, her hands working away mindlessly. Wells hobbled out of the drop ship, but he was walking better.

"What's going on?" He asked Cassie, his eyes glaring at the kids around the bonfire. She kept her eyes on the arrow she was trying to attach some shrapnel to, not even looking at the group surrounding Bellamy. She couldn't even see him through the crowd. "Liberation."

She tested the strength of the arrow, the tip immobile. She grinned and finally looked up at Wells. "Your ankle is looking better."

"Yeah, it's feeling better. Thanks, uh, I'm gonna see what's happening." He started to walk away, but Cassie's voice made him pause. "Good luck. Bellamy's in a speech mood."

A few minutes later and she was right, she could hear Bellamy's voice booming from here. The crowd erupted into a chant.

Cries of "Whatever the hell we want!" filled the air and Cassie chuckled to herself. She knew that Bell would've started it, but she soon realised that it wouldn't last very long. A droplet of water fell on Cassie's hand and she turned her head to the sky. Water poured from the sky, drenching her almost instantly. She climbed to her feet, leaving the bow under a tarp and stretched her arms up into the sky. Pure euphoria enveloped her body as she experienced rain for the first time. The kids danced around and yelled, happiness spreading through the camp like wildfire. Bellamy stood across from her, his head angled towards the sky. She grinned widely as he met her gaze and did the same. Her feet splashed in small puddles as she ran towards her best friend. He embraced her as she reached him and lifted her up. Her arms wrapped around his neck as the kids cheered around them, dancing in the rain. Their eyes met as droplets ran down Bell's face and down his shirt. Cassie grinned as he rested his forehead against hers and they enjoyed the water trickling down their backs.

Cassie hadn't been able to sleep that night, even with Bell's offer to sleep with him. It was something they had done since they were young. Cassie was plagued with horrible nightmares and sleeping beside Bell had never once failed to calm her down. There was something comforting about him being beside her that finally let her sleep. She had finally finished the bow and was testing out the string when something creeping past caught her attention. She was away from the camp, far enough that she wouldn't be heard, but close enough that she could still see sleeping kids. A shadow caught her eye and she noticed something familiar about the way it walked. Then it clicked. Bellamy. Of course, he was up to no good. She slipped the bow over her shoulder and slipped the arrow she had nocked into a makeshift quiver, leaving behind her jacket. Bell crept up to sleeping Wells and covered his mouth. Cassie's breath caught in her throat as Bell pulled a gun from his waistband. He whispered something and pulled his hand away. Wells climbed to his feet and followed Bell through the camp. They stopped a little way away from camp and Cassie ducked behind a tree. They were surrounded by what looked to be an old riverbed, and Cassie was unsure about what Bell had planned. She crept forward a few steps more as Bell and Wells spoke, but she couldn't hear what they were saying. Bell tucked the gun back into his jeans and Cassie watched as Wells tried to run but was dragged back by some of the kids. He was thrown to the ground as the kids pried off his wristband. Cassie rubbed her own and spotted Bell starting to walk away. She stepped out of her hiding spot and Bell's eyes widened at the sight of her.

"Cas! It's not what you think..." He started off, quickening his pace towards her. His hands grasped her shoulders as she glanced at Wells.

"It looks like you're taking off his wristband." She pointed out, looking up at her best friend.

"Okay, so maybe it is what it looks like."

"Why?" She asked.

"I can't tell you that just yet." Bell replied, licking his lips and running a hand through his damp hair. Cassie scoffed and kicked at the dirt before turning to walk away. Bell lunged forward and caught her arm, bringing her back to his chest. She looked up at him expectantly, but didn't pull her arm away.

"You just need to trust me please; can you trust me?" His eyes pleaded with her and his grip tightened on her arm, his thumb rubbing lightly against her bare skin, sending wild shocks of electricity through her body. Bell seemed to notice the shocks too, because he let go.

Cassie nodded and swallowed, but she held out her wrist. Bell's eyes fell to the wristband connected to her arm and took her hand in his. "Not here." He mumbled.

Bell dragged Cassie into the drop ship, a knife cradled in his palm. He gestured to the ladder and cautiously, Cassie climbed up, with Bell close behind.

"Enjoying the view?" She teased with a chuckle. Bell responded with a grunt. Cassie kept her eyes on the ladder and opened the hatch, pulling herself up to the top level of the ship. Bell joined her soon after, closing the hatch behind him. Cassie sat on the ground with her legs crossed, looking up at Bell expectantly.

"Give me your hand." He ordered, his voice stern. Cassie complied as he sat down in front of her, his eyes flickering up to her. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"You seemed pretty keen on getting everyone to take theirs off, why are you asking me?" Cassie raised an eyebrow and Bell levelled his gaze with hers.

"Because I don't want you to do it because of me." His thumb grazed the top of her hand as he took her hands in his. Sparks flew on her skin again, but this time Bell didn't pull away. A ghost of a smile crept up on his face and Cassie let out a low breath.

"I'm doing this for both of us. I owe the people on the Ark nothing. They took everything from me. I'm doing this because you clearly don't want them to come down and I will always support you, no matter what. Even if you don't want to tell me what you did, I still care about you Bellamy. So, hurry up and get this thing off me."

Bellamy chuckled lightly and picked up the knife lying beside him. "Ready?"

"Always."

~~~

Please vote and comment! I really appreciate it and love everyone who reads this! xx