Frederick x Reader: Sunset

You were currently sprinting through the open area of the camp, trying not to run into anyone. You were running late for Frederick's Fanatical Fitness Hour and he told you that if you were late for a training session again, he'd make you jog 70 laps around the camp.

Finally you came to a stop as the training grounds came into view. Struggling not to collapse, your hands fell onto your knees and you stood hunched over trying to catch your breath. Gaius walked past you as you huffed. His training session with Frederick had clearly just ended. "How...was...it?" you asked between deep breaths.

Gaius shrugged, pulling a lollipop out from his pocket. It was covered in lint but he still put it in his mouth anyway. "One of the worst. Good luck, Y/N, you'll need it especially cause you look kinda sick." He walked away before you could catch your breath and yell at him.

Damned Gaius... you thought, clenching your fists. Before you could start plotting against him any further, you saw Frederick's silhouette off in the near distance. Oh right, my training! Immediately you sprinted over to where he was standing. "I know I'm kinda late," you began waving your hands defensively as he glared at you. "But..." your voice trailed off. You didn't have an excuse for being late this time.

Frederick said nothing at first, only continued to glare at you. So scary...but still kinda cute. You'd always thought Frederick was cute since the day you first met him in the middle of the meadows when you joined the Shepherds. He was always so diligent and hardworking, never once slacking for the sake of Chrom and the rest. You always looked up to him and his hard work and you wanted to be just like him, hardworking. That's what you loves the most about him—that's right, you loved Frederick. You've loved him since the day you met, when he gave you a ride on his horse until everyone arrived at the Ylisse camp.

"Y/N..." he said firmly. "Do you have any idea how late you are?" He glanced down at his sundial. "Approximately-No, exactly 47 minutes late. Do you think this kind of tardiness is acceptable in battle?"

You felt tears well up in your E/C eyes. You didn't know how you were ever going to live down frederick being so disappointed in you. "N-no, Frederick... I'm sorry..."

Frederick sighed and placed a surprisingly gentle hand on your shoulder. "It's alright, Y/N. I know you work hard to protect your comrades. I'm sorry I was so harsh."

You gasped and gazed up into his orbs. Nothing had prepared you for this moment. Of all things to happen today, you never expected that Frederick would start being nice to you. "I-it's okay... Thanks. I do."

He gave you a warm smile and offered his arm. "Now, what do you say we go for a stroll around the camp?"

You grasped onto his pleasantly muscled bicep. He was so warm and you felt so safe being near him.

The two of you walked and talked until the sun began to set on the horizon. It was a beautiful color. Frederick mentioned that it was almost as beautiful as you. As the two of you approached the top of a big hill. He turned towards you and took both of your hands in his larger ones.

"Y/N..." he said, gazing into your spheres. "There's something I've been meaning to tell you."

"What is it?" you asked, hoping that he wouldn't yell at you for being late to Fredericks fanatical fitness whatever again.

"I... love you."

You gasped and your hands flew to your mouth. He couldn't really mean it, could he? "Are you serious?"

He looked at you sadly. "I am very serious. I've always adored your dedication to your comrades and your willingness to work hard to protect them."

You threw your arms around his muscular neck. "Oh, Frederick. I love you too!"

And with that, the two of you went on your way to have dinner together. Your very first date.