Leo x Reader: Yes I Do The Cleaning

It was a dark and gloomy day, typical for Nohr as it was the country in which you resides and you were used to this type of weather. You were a maid at the Nohrian castle and it was your job to dust off the books in Prince Leo's study whenever they got too messy. He hated touching dusty books because they made his gloves all dusty, and you respected that so that was why you dusted them. Also they paid you to dust the books.

You picked up one book in particular so you could dust it with your feather duster. It was the last book on the bookshelf and after that, you would be done dusting for the day.

"Wow..." you said as you began flipping through the pages in the book. It was filled with scribbles and shapes that you couldn't identify because you were illiterate :( unfortunately King Garon thinks Nohrian maids do not need to learn how to read, only use staves to heal injured royals and sometimes soldiers.

"Hm? Like what you see?" Leo asked. You jumped in shock, as you didn't expect to see him at all in his study.

You dropped to your knee at once and bowed, nervously stuttering, "A-Ah, Lord Leo, I-I, uh, forgive me, I was just, erm, trying to give this book a thorough dusting!" The ruffles on the skirt of your maid uniform rustled against the dark shaggy carpet and you were starting to get rug burn on your knees.

"Please stand," Leo said, blushing slightly. "I apologize for startling you. I merely wanted to read some books in my free time."

"Oh umm," you said, quickly standing and picking up the duster. "I'll leave you, then. Enjoy your reading, Lord Leo." You started to run to the door before he could say anything else to you. Talking to Lord Leo had always made you rather embarrassed for some reason. However, as soon as your hand touched the doorknob, he said something.

"Wait. (Y/N), was it? Stay with me for a while." He didn't even sound like he was joking.

"W-well if you insist." You turned around and stared at him until he pointed to one of the many lavish sofas that decorated the room. You had always been to scared to sit on them before, worried that someone might catch you and have you executed. Nevertheless, you sat, trusting that Lord Leo wouldn't mind.

"So," Lord Leo began, strolling over to you and taking a sit next to you. "What book is it that you were so interested in?"

You handed the book over to him sheepishly, wishing you could read the title. Most people have parents or teachers to teach them how to read. But your family had all been killed in an attack by the Hoshidan army before you ever learned. After that, you went straight to the palace to become a maid to support yourself until you earned enough money to get revenge against Hoshido for making you suffer for so many years.

Maybe if I turn it like this... You flipped the book around, hoping you'd be able to read it and sighed when you still couldn't. "I..." you blushed in embarrassment. Now I have to tell him... "I'm not sure. You see, Lord Leo, I...cannot read." You turned away as the tears started flowing down your cheeks. Couldn't have Lord Leo see you crying.

Leo shifted towards you. He brought your face back to facing his and wiped the tears away. You could feel your cheeks burning red hot like a hot stove. "Would you like to learn?," he whispered.

Your eyes widened like saucers. "Oh, Lord Leo, I..." You turned away again, blushing even heavier because his deep burgundy orbs were gazing into your E/C ones. "I shouldn't..."

"Oh?" He played with a strand of your hair between his fingers. "Does the heart not want what the heart want?"

Eyebrows crinkled, you gave Leo a confused look. Why does he always have to talk so confusing? "I beg your pardon?" you asked.

"I suspect you picked up this book knowing that I would be in my study at my scheduled study time in hopes that I would interrupt you and then lead to this interaction. Surely you wished to attract my attention." Leo sighed, squinting his eyebrows back. "If you have anything you want to say to me, say it now."

You blushed and partially hid your mouth behind your hand. "L-Lord Leo, I...what i have to say would not be very professional and I don't want to anger the Nohrian kingdom—"

"I figured it'd be like this." He used his magic to close the door to the study so no one would dare come in. "Y/N, don't be afaraid to be honest with me. I won't make you speak but If there is something you wish to tell me, now may be your only chance to tell me."

You clutched at the clothing covering your chest, you couldn't take it anymore. Lord Leo...you're practically begging me to confess my love for you and still I'm so scared to.

You turned to Leo and took a deep breath. Oh, Lord Leo...! "I...I love you, Lord Leo! I've loved you since the day I swore service to this kingdom and even though I am without family and the ability to read, I'm so glad I've been able to be near you. These past few years when I have been serving you have been the best of my life and...and...I wish to be closer with you!"

Leo stared back at you but you couldn't look back at him because you were too embarrassed. Oh jeez did I really just say that? I'm going to lose my maid job for sure!

After what felt like hours, he said, "Y/N is this all really true?"

You felt the tears crowding in your eyes, you were going to start crying again. I should've known not to tell him everything...I shouldn't have admitted my feelings to him, I knew it! "Y-Yes," you choked.

He took your hand into his. You turned to look back over at him but he wasn't lookin at you, only smiling warmly downward and starting to tear up.

"No no please don't cry, Lord Leo!" You slapped his face with your hands in an attempt to stop the tears from falling out of his eyes. "I"m sorry if i made you uncomfortable. I'll leave now." you said as you got up to leave.

Before you made it very far, he pulled you down into a hug. It was kind of awkward because he was sitting and you were standing, but it made you feel better anyway. "I love you too,, (Y/N). I always have."

You didn't believe what you were hearing at first. However, you soon came to realize that everything he'd said was the truth. The two of you lived together for the rest of your lives.