Spark of the Flame

"The last time we made the attempt to interfere with Aqualad's operatives, this vigilante interfered again."

Wonder Woman stood up firmly as she claimed the previous statement, whereas the rest of the league looked at her with attention.

"This invasion is of too high importance to just let a girl prevent our biggest moves," she concluded.

"But the girl is not doing anything wrong," Flash said. "Allbeit a little bit of an obstacle, she's fighting for the same reasons many of us started."

"Flash, had we succeeded in our last operative, we would have to deal with approcimately 20% less Kroleteans than before," Green Lantern said.

"Are we going to suppress her then?" Batman intervened, and made everyone quiet. "It would be the equivalent of preventing Flash from running."

"The least we could do is communicate with her," said Captain Marvel. "Let her know what's more at stake, and compromise."

The members of the League remained in silence for only a few seconds. During that time, Batman looked  closely at each of the members who had spoken.

He'd question what made this girl so important, as many of them were, no doubt, but he thought the answer was obvious. As a child, he suffered greatly, and that gave him a reason to fight crime. Though he had no idea of this girl's backstory, he knew there was something there.

And besides, where is the justice in suppressing someone who's fighting for the little guy?

"The vigilante is not to be retained," Batman proposed. "Since the League itself must continue to pursue the Kroletean invasion, I will send a member of the Team to address her, and have that compromise Captain Marvel suggested."

The other members, processed the statement.

"Who would you send?" Wonder Woman asked.

"Nightwing is the best option," Batman replied. "He will go."

Wonder Woman nodded. "Very well. I agree."

"All those in favor?"

All members of the League raised their hands.

"It is settled then."

****

He stood atop a roof as he saw the girl from afar.

Remember, he replayed his mentor's orders in his head, it's a compromise. We'll analyze her and see if she has potential to be in the Team later on.

Nightwing didn't quite understand why telling a girl to lay low was such a big deal to the Justice League. It just seemed exaggerated. But he didn't question, he just got down from the roof and went on to do what he had to do.

He landed swiftly behind the girl, who received him by shooting a fireball at him.

"Wait!" He yelled as he dodged. "I'm not here to fight you-"

He stopped completely cold when the girl turned ever so slightly to face him. He could only stare at her: her eyes, a bright blue nearly reaching gray, perfect blond hair, red and beautiful lips that looked soft and, no doubt, talented.

"Prove it," she said, making Nightwing snap out of it. "Take the mask off."

"No can do," he replied. "Why would you want that anyway?"

"To see that idiot expression on your face."

"Excuse me?"

"You stared," she turned around to fully face him.

As Nightwing took in all of the features in her flawless figure, she laughed. 

"You're doing it again! Look, if you wanna do stuff with me, at least ask me out to dinner first."

Nightwing let out a chuckle. "I'm not here for that. I'd like to talk with you about an important matter."

"Like I said," she replied. "At least take me out first."

"I'm here on behalf of the Justice League."

Nightwing figured that mentioning the League would get her attention straight away, and he was right.

"I'm listening," she said.

"Look," he took a step closer. "There's an alien invasion at hand. The Kroleteans, and the Justice League is doing everything they can to stop them. But... it looks like your moves are getting in the way of that."

"My moves?" She asked. "I'm a vigilante fighting shoplifters in Central City. How the crap am I getting in their way?"

"I don't know," Nightwing replied. "I'm just here to inform you of what's at stake-"

"I didn't even know what was at stake, how am I supposed to not get in their way? The only way for me to do that is to do nothing at all."

Nightwing could feel her getting angry. He didn't want that, even if it did somehow make her more attractive. 

Then, something clicked inside him.

"You said you mainly fight robbers?"

"Not just them, I mean, I fight any person I see doing a crime."

"Then that's it," he says. "These Kroleteans replace the bodies of real people with robotic bodies that look exactly alike. The League uses them to gain intel and know what to do."

"But why do these aliens take the shape of people who rob instead of people who might have a bigger impact?"

"They either want to keep it lowkey or they want to lure vigilantes like you out."

The girl laughed, in a musical way that made Nightwing want to bring her in even more.

"Why'd they want to do that?"

Nightwing smirked. "I don't know. But frankly, I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to lure you out."

"What's that supposed to mean, handsome?" She asked with a smirk.

Nightwing chuckled. "Dinner first? Seriously?"

She nodded. "No exceptions."

He chuckled again. "Alright. Meet me out here tomorrow, same hour."

"Don't you have to be heroing around?"

"I'll manage," he said with a smirk.

The girl bit her lip slightly. "Alright, I'll see you here tomorrow."

"I'll give you the full deal then," he told her.

The girl laughed. "Alright, and maybe you can also tell me more about this Kroletean thing."

Nightwing smirked at the naughty twist she gave to his previous statement, then turned around to make his way.

"What's your name?" He asked her.

"You didn't take the mask off, you're not getting my name."

"Well, what name do you go by when you're fighting crime?"

She smirked. "Ignite."

He nodded. "I'm Nightwing."

She humphed slightly and smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, Nightwing."

And she jumped off into the night, leaving a stunned Nightwing looking after her.