day seven

at first everything was bright.

jimin could hear people talking, and if he tried hard enough he could make out what they were saying.

"when is jiminie gonna wake up?"

"hyung, shut up. he'll wake eventually. just give him time."

"i'm sure the surgery was tough on him. he needs time."

surgery?

a sigh. "he's gonna be devastated when he finds out."

finds out what?

jimin's head started to hurt. the voices were so familiar, yet he couldn't place them.

"did jimin just groan?"

"wait, hos-"

he felt a hand touching his face, not roughly but the hand was cold and jimin flinched at the touch.

"he's awake! i knew it!"

"jimin-ah, can you hear us?"

jimin tried to nod, and by the sounds of cheering he guessed he did.

he tried to open his eyes, but instantly shut them again because of the intense light that was surrounding him. "nnnggh," he groaned.

"tae, shut the light off. it's probably too bright for him."

"yes, hyung."

he heard a click, and tried to open his eyes again. it was much darker now, the only light coming from the window to his right. "wh-what...?"

"how are you feeling?" a face appeared above him, and jimin stared for a minute to try and place it.

"s-seokjinnie hyung?" he mumbled.

jin beamed, stroking jimin's cheek. "yes, it's me. how are you feeling?"

"um. kinda weird."

"does your chest hurt? can you breathe okay?" a deeper voice spoke up, and another face appeared beside jin. it was namjoon. jimin smiled weakly.

"y-yes, hyung. i feel fine. why... why is everyone asking if i'm okay?"

the five exchanged looks. yoongi got up and made his way over to the bed, a sheet of paper clutched in his hand. he handed the paper to jimin, biting his lip.

it was then that jimin noticed jungkook was not among the group.

jimin began to read as the five watched him, fearful for his reaction.

dear jimin hyung,

i know you're gonna hate me for this.

but the whole time you've been suffering, i've been unable to do anything to help.

i finally found a way to help.

i want to thank you, park jimin, for making these three years the best of my life. you shone a ray of light on me, and gave me hope and a reason to get up in the morning. i love you so, so much.

that's why i'm giving you this last gift. consider it an early anniversary present.

always with love,

jeon jungkook x

jimin looked up, silent tears streaming down his face. "no," he whispered. "no, no, no."

he threw the paper down, sliding off the bed. he was still connected to an iv, but he disregarded that and started for the door. "no, where the fuck is jungkook? he's here, he's alive, he-" he was cut off by his own sobs escaping from his throat, and sank to his knees in the cold tile floor. "i need him."

the five all surrounded him and hugged him. jin brought the crying boy into his lap, stroking his hair. "why would he do this, hyung?" jimin wept into jin's shoulder as the older boy rubbed his back soothingly.

"he did it because he knew you would go on to do great things with your life, while the only thing jungkook lived for was you. he gave his life for you," said jin quietly.

"i didn't want him to!" jimin cried. "i was supposed to be the one that died, not him!"

eventually jimin tired himself out of crying and fell asleep against seokjin's chest. the older boy carefully lifted him up and rested him up on the bed. the five then went home, as they were all tired and would visit jimin again tomorrow.

it was a tomorrow they hadn't counted on, yet it was a tomorrow that came with a price.