Chapter 4

Chapter 4

His eyes were struck with worry, and for once, he looked like he was lost. It was hard to draw his figure out from the dark, to illuminate his features so I could confirm that it was, indeed, the boy who had always been such a mystery to me. It was as if I was just imagining the whole thing, that no one stood in his place besides an unimportant shadow. A sly shadow at that. One second it was roaming the walls, and the next the only movement to be seen was the pouring rain. Maybe my mind was playing cruel tricks on me.

I slowly tuck my gun back into the side of my shoe. Johanna and I were completed soaked, and I could here the chatter of Johanna's teeth vibrating through shivers. “Was that...” I hear her voice hesitate to say his name, but I just stare at the empty alleyway that I could have sworn had a furtive boy wondering the narrow alley.

“He said our names,” I barely whisper that I'd be surprised if Johanna heard. I felt a little breathless and dizzy. I wanted to contradict myself. Whether he was there or not, someone had signaled us. But I knew the sound of Danni's voice of course, and I knew his graceful movements. The unidentified figure had managed to escape through the dark alleyway without a suspicious trace left. It had to be Danni.

“We should go, Serena.” Johanna clears her voice, “It's getting late.”

We barge through the alleyway without hesitation, but my jaw clenches as we pass through. Once we get to the car, and I take the steering wheel without a word, we drive back home. I stare straight ahead, focusing merely on the road drizzled in rain drops. My mind stays on the topic of Danni, but I can't get myself to bring him up. After all, I had no idea where he was. I had no idea whether he quit ROI, or was still one of their agents. Unfortunately, Johanna decides to break the barrier of silence between us created by my thoughts that just keep multiplying into questions have still been unanswered.

“Remember the last night we saw him?” Johanna riskily proclaimed, and I simply nod without replying. I watch the streetlights zoom past my eyes, giving off the illusion of shooting stars flying by. “Well, where is he now?”

“I'm not sure.” I tell her, because I'm not. The last time I saw him, he promised to think about joining my team. Of course it was a ridiculous idea, and I had no idea what I was doing, but I thought it could possibly work. He could quit the ROI, and join ICI. It was stupid, after all. I mean, how easy would it be for ROI to let Danni go, without any suspicions? I never like to bring the subject up because I don't want to remind my team of my one second moment of pure stupidity.

“What is with the deal with his agency and ours, anyways?” Johanna wonders aloud as we turn into my neighborhood. The street is dark, with only a few dull lights to illuminate the sidewalk as we drive by.

I shrug my shoulders. “Who knows. I'd like to think it's nothing, but anytime I bring it up around Mr. Collins, he dives into a new subject a little too quick. I mean, when he addresses the weather, you know something's up. That man never likes to discuss small talk. He thinks it's pointless.”

Johanna purses her lips as she pulls up into my driveway, both of us jumping in our seats when her car tires hit the sidewalk. She rests her arms on the steering wheel. “Well, get some sleep. We're leaving early tomorrow.” she effortlessly encourages me as I stumble out of her car.

“Wouldn't count on it,” I reply, “who could stay up with so much things to think about?” I add quietly and shut the door right away so Johanna doesn't have time to respond. She backs out as I watch the beacon of light diminish as her headlights are no longer present.

As I unlock the door, the house is silent. Not one buffer from the TV that Mr. Collins always forgets to turn off, and no rustle of Parker pacing the floors of his room. I quickly and carefully run up the stairs, used to each swift and specific turn my feet make due to the constant routine. When I pass Parker's door, I hesitate to stop. It takes all my might to bring a fist to his door.