9) C and S

In the king and queen's absence, Icarus took over. He was the king's advisory, and had known the royal family long enough to know what they would do. Most of the time. Currently, he was racing loops around throne room, trying to decide what to do about the damaged city of Atlantis. The hospitals in Atlantis were already full and understaffed, but it would take a while to send the sick elsewhere for healing. And then there was the problem of those already dead. Should they dig a mass grave for all of them? And if so, where? On top of all this, many were homeless and in need of shelter. To add to the chaos, rumors were going around that the city would be attacked again or Poseidon had abandoned them. Icarus was just about to go into hysteria when Atlantis arrived.

The merman couldn't have been happier to see the princess. "Atlantis! Where have you been?! I'd love to chat but we really don't have time to catch up. Atlantis is still- a working progress?"

"I understand." The siren nodded. "I'm going to freshen up, but I was wondering if you could tell me what-"

"Where are your parents?" Icarus cut in, his long black tail swishing back and forth frantically. "They're not here so where are they? Please say they're on their way because I don't know how much more of this I can take!"

Atlantis quickly went to her room to change, remembering no was there to help her because they were dead. When she returned, Icarus was still panicking, and the siren grabbed his hands. "Calm down, Ic. I know this is a lot to handle at once, considering the ocean has never been without a ruler before, but this is what you've been trained to do."

"I think I need a few more lessons." He said doubtfully.

Unable to provide the help Icarus was looking for, Atlantis changed the subject. "I have a clue about who took my parents."

"Wasn't it Zeus?"

"It was, but then they got taken from him by Apollo and then taken from Apollo by whoever C and S are."

"C and S, C and S." Icarus mumbled as he swam in small circles. Suddenly, he paused. "I want to go with you on this quest, but at the same time, I need to stay here and run an ocean. And I'd probably get myself killed on the quest anyway. But I'm going to lose it if I get another message that somebody's in a crisis!"

"You might say you're between a rock and a hard place." Atlantis replied, understanding his dilemma.

Icarus gave her a strange look. "Did you learn that on land or something?"

She pressed her lips together. "It means you have a dilemma." Atlantis said slowly.

"A dilemma? In that case, you mean I'm between Charybdis and Scylla. Atlantis, you've been away for too long."

"Charybdis and Scylla... C and S! Holy sea cows, thank you! Why didn't I see that? Thank you, thank you, thank you!" In her excitement, Atlantis kissed Icarus on the cheek and sped away. Charybdis and Scylla had her parents! Atlantis hurried to the surface, eager to tell Apollo so they finally rescue Poseidon and Amphitrite.

When the two finally met up, Atlantis was surprised. Apollo had a fish tail! It was practically gilded, but fishy nonetheless. His blue seemed closer to cobalt than before while his hair had grown a few shades lighter. "Hello, Atlantis." The god said pleasantly.

"I like you- I mean! That." She gestured vaguely in his direction. "I like that. Your fish-" More gestures followed. "I-um, don't know what I'm saying anymore."

"I knew you liked me." Apollo mused with a sideways glance.

After a few seconds of her pouting, he came over and rested his chin on her shoulder. Atlantis stiffened but didn't push him away. Apollo blew a heart-shaped bubble in her face, which made her pull away. "Has Eros shot you or something? I know you like me but seriously, Apollo! Now is not the time!"

As he raced after the siren, Apollo smiled to himself. 'Not the time' is not no. "By the way," he said. "Whirlpoolbutt and Six-headedbutt are in the Sea of Monsters."

Atlantis stopped short. At least, as much as you can in water. "The Sea of Monsters? I forgot about that place." She said sadly.

"Well that's where all sea monsters live." Apollo answered stupidly.

"I don't." The siren retorted, her frown deepening. "I've never been outside of my father's realm."

Apollo tilted his head and began counting on his fingers. "Olympus (several times), Fisher's Island, the streets of New York, the Empire State Building, an elevator, the New York Harbor, need I go on? All of those were out of Poseidon's realm. And you're scared of a section of ocean?"

"But in all those places, if I needed him, Poseidon could have been there or helped me in some way. In the Sea of Monsters, he can't."

There was a long pause until Apollo finally said, "Do you love your parents?"

"Of course I do, who doesn't?"

"Hestia, Demeter, Hades, Hera, and Poseidon. I mean, he ate them. Who does that?! But I digress," Apollo said, shaking his head. "Point is, you love your parents. And they need you right now. They need you to be brave and face Charybdis and Scylla. And besides, I'll be with you."

Atlantis smiled, encouraged. If her parents needed her, she would be there. Like they were always there when she needed them.

"To the Sea of Monsters?"

The siren nodded, determination shining in her eyes. "To the Sea of Monsters."