11) Freedom Is Never Free

As soon as the gilded doors were opened, Atlantis burst in. She immediately spotted her parents. Celestial bronze chains pinned Poseidon and Amphitrite to stone chairs, but they smiled upon seeing their daughter. Atlantis pulled herself over, and reached for the nearest link.

"Lanti, don't! It's-" Before her mother could finish, the siren touched the chain. Atlantis yelped and recoiled, caressing an injured hand. "Electrocuted." Amphitrite finished unnecessarily.

Shaking her hand, Atlantis glared at Zeus, trying to find words strong enough to express her anger. Before she could say anything, the siren noticed her parents' symbols of power, similarly chained on the opposite side of the room. For some reason, she fell silent at this.

The siren faced Zeus, who was lying on his back eating grapes. At his name, the god sat up and the grapes vanished. "What do you want, siren?" He asked in the most indifferent, bored tone Atlantis had heard.

She hadn't realized she was crying until the siren saw tears pooling on the floor. Atlantis clenched her jaw and looked Zeus in the eye. "What do you want, king of the gods? Haven't you done enough to me?! I understand you don't like me and that's fine, but do you have to kidnap my parents and put the whole ocean at risk because of it?!"

Zeus frowned, but said nothing.

"I wish I could be mad at you but I just don't have the energy. You have killed my best friends, destroyed my home, and kidnapped my parents, and why? Because you think I'm dangerous? Dangerous to who or what, I ask. Certainly not any of you Olympians. I mean for Hades' sake, a mortal could kill me if they really wanted to!"

The god flinched as Atlantis came closer, but neither of them realized what they were doing.

"So I ask you, Zeus, what more could you possibly want from me? If you never want to see me again, fine! I'll disappear under the waves and you won't have to look at my ugly, monstrous face ever again!" The siren broke down into tears and sobbed, repeating over and over that she was a monster.

No one moved for several seconds. Finally, Zeus, who had been staring at the siren while contemplating things, sighed and snapped his fingers. The chains that held her parents vanished, and Poseidon and Amphitrite were reunited with their daughter and their symbols of power.

After all the hugging, crying, and sentiments, Poseidon let go of Atlantis. "Did anyone, by chance, help you? With finding me and whatnot?" He asked nervously.

The siren nodded, wiping tears from her eyes. "Yeah, why?"

"Who?" Her father asked quickly, his eyes wide.

"What's gotten into you, Dad? Why are you so- jumpy?"

"Tell me who helped you!"

"Apollo. But what does that have to do with anything?"

"I made a stupid bet a long time ago, but I promised it on the River Styx so long story short, you have to marry him now."

Atlantis stared at Poseidon for a long time, before slowly turning to Apollo and staring at him. He gave her a knowing smile. She snarled, and the smile disappeared. Turning back to her father, Atlantis folded her arms and narrowed her eyes. "I want the long story." She demanded.

Poseidon sighed, leaning on his trident. "We all got into this weird argument about twenty years ago about who was the least likely to be kidnapped. Why? I don't remember, but we did. Bets and promises were made, and then we forgot about the whole thing."

"Typical." Atlantis muttered under her breath, but luckily no one heard.

"Being kidnapped reminded me of the bet, naturally. I remembered I had promised that I would never be kidnapped and if I was, I would give the god who helped rescue me my firstborn daughter's hand in marriage."

The siren raised an eyebrow, looking at her father like he was crazy. "Why?! What in Hades possessed you to say that?! At that point you didn't even have kids!"

Looking uncomfortable and embarrassed, the god shrugged. "Alcohol?"

Atlantis let out a loud groan, which turned into a scream. Finding no words, she mumbled random phrases and laid down on the floor. "Of all the things you could have said..." She whispered to the marble.

After a few moments of the Olympians staring at the siren, Apollo rubbed his hands together. "So, everybody," he began awkwardly. "We've got a wedding to plan!"