TWO

Chun's eyes widened. She had probably never fathomed such a dark thought before, so it must've been a great shock to her. Huian was slightly amused at her reaction but chose to ignore it as she swept down the hallway once more, her mind accelerating with plans. What could she do? There was literally no escape. No matter how strong of a woman she was, no matter how many men she could best, no matter how amazing she was, she couldn't escape marriage. It was the one thing that bound her. Although she wasn't keen on the idea of marriage, she was especially not happy at the thought of marrying Yao Chenglei.

She clearly remembered the first time they had met. She was twelve while he was fifteen. They had been engaged since she was five and he was eight, but they hadn't met at that time. She hadn't been particularly happy to finally meet her betrothed, but she had been curious that day. And why wouldn't she be? She was marrying the heir to the respected Yao family, the militaristic family that had been serving the Drakkon dynasty since its conception. For her father, it was simple. The Yao family was known for having centuries of military experience while the Lin family was known for its scholarly knowledge and money. Together, they would make a great pair. Two of the noblest bloods joining to mark a powerful union. Lord Yao thought the same as her father and was equally excited.

Their first meeting should have been the start of something noble, pure, and enlightening, but it was the complete opposite. He wasn't the least bit how she had imagined him to be and she was sure that she was a disappointment to him as well. He had sparked her anger by bluntly asking why she needlessly practiced swordsmanship. He further went to explain that women had no need for such interests and that it was unnecessary for her. It had been a simple question, told in a straightforward, meticulous, and cold manner, and yet it had infuriated her. That had been the start of their first ever argument. She was never one to back down and it seemed he was the same. Since then, they never saw eye to eye.

Huian hesitated when she reached the double doors to her father's room. Her gaze flitted over to Chun. "You can leave now," she told her.

"Ah, yes, my lady." She bowed down before scurrying down the hallway, no doubt relieved to be away from her.

Now alone, Huian stared at the doorway, contemplating whether or not she should enter.

[What are you so afraid of?]

She closed her eyes and sighed. "Nothing," she said. "I'm not scared of anything."

[You are. I can tell. No need to hide it from me.]

"Go back to sleep," she said.

[I'm awake now.]

"Clearly."

[Stop talking out loud. People will think you're crazy.]

"Do you think I care what people think about me?"

There was a silence and the stirring within her chest stopped. [I'll be here if you need me.]

"I won't need you."

[Marrying him can't possibly be the end of the world. Many women do it, you know—marriage.]

"Go to sleep," she hissed, pulling her fist back and knocking on her father's door.

The demon silenced itself and slithered deeper within her. The first time he had appeared, she had been eleven years old. It was shortly after her mother had passed away. He had nestled himself deep within her chest and remained there. Apparently, his real body was locked away somewhere and he was just bouncing about from body to body.

There was a rustle from behind the door before her father beckoned her inside. She pushed the door open and stepped inside his study. His thick wooden desk was strewn with papers and he was seated behind it, one hand stroking his graying beard and the other inspecting a scrap of paper. He didn't look at her as she entered and instead skimmed the contents of the note. He set it down after a moment.