FIVE

The carriage jolted to a stop. Huian slammed into Cheung, her forehead smashing into his chin. He woke with a yelp, while she confusedly touched her forehead. Her face was inches from her brother. Both held confused, sleepy looks. She pulled away and looked out the window. It was nighttime, the night canopying them in darkness. "What was that?"

"I wonder . . ." He swallowed. "What if—"

She brought a finger to her lips, indicating for him to be quiet. She could hear a scuffle outside and low voices. She didn't dare poke her head out from the window and instead slowly pulled the shutters of the window in place. She flicked the lock in place. "Do you have a weapon?" she asked in a hushed voice.

Inside the carriage was pitch black, but she didn't need to be able to see to know that he was freaking out. She placed a hand on his trembling shoulders. "Cheung, do you have a weapon?"

"N-No," he choked out.

"Calm down," she said quietly.

[There's seven men outside.]

Panic surged within her. Without a weapon, she didn't know if she could fight against seven men in the dark. What was she going to do? Would Cheung and her be killed? She refused to die in such a pathetic way. No, she would fight, but how? She chewed on her bottom lip. It was only a matter of time before they would yank the door open and take them out. They were the children of the Lin family; of course bandits or thieves would try to get them!

[Calm down, Huian. Have you forgotten my demon clan?]

Your demon clan? She scrambled for thoughts, barely understanding why he was bringing this up. The Faline clan?

[Correct. Our magic stems from the shadows. Fear not, the darkness is your friend. Now, calm down.]

She breathed out deeply. That was right. She couldn't forget who she was. She was Lin Huian, and she had never lost to anyone before. Tonight wasn't going to be any different. With or without a weapon, she would beat them all. After all, she had demon's blood running through her veins. Sure she was an abomination, but that didn't make her any less perfect.

"Don't leave this carriage," she told Cheung as she reached for the door.

His hand seized hers. "W-What are you—"

"Stay put," she said quietly. "I'll handle them."

"B-But—"

She slapped his hand away before pushing the door of the carriage open. She jumped out without a thought and landed on her feet softly. She slammed the door of the carriage shut behind her. In a split second, she took in her surroundings. There were two men wrestling with the driver of the carriage, who had been dragged down to the floor, and there were two guards who were facing off five men. The corner of her mouth twitched. They were outnumbered pretty badly.

The moonlight cast a silver glow across all the men in the vicinity. The carriage behind her, her dowry carriage, was halted as well. The driver of the carriage was slumped over the seat, an arrow burrowed into his neck.

"Lend me your strength, Bazyn," she murmured. A surge of strength pumped through her arms and legs and she breathed out deeply. Her eyes glowed red. She didn't have much time to think, so she decided to help the driver first, since he didn't know how to fight anyway. Her muscles licked away at Bazyn's magic and flourished, begging for more. She grinned. It wasn't often that she drew in Bazyn's magic, since it made her eyes red. Now was an emergency, though. Besides, she doubted anyone would be able to see her red eyes in the dark.