Lupine

Lupine

The doctor smiled sadly down at me."Melony, I am so sorry. Nothing is working."

I closed my eyes tightly starting to feel slightly numb. Clasping my hands on my lap to keep them from  trembling and I swallowed nervously. Stupid, shouldn't have gotten my hopes up high. Swallowing the lump building up in my throat I gave the doctor a weak smile.

"How many months left?"

The doctor glanced down at his clipboard."In your condition, probably about six months."

My hands shook on my lap. Six months. Only six months left for me to live. A few start tears escaped and dripped down my cheek. I brushed them away quickly.

He shot me a sympathetic look, a look I soon despised. All the people who knew about my condition gave me looks like that and nothing else. Poor Melony this, poor Melony that.

"Melony, its okay to cry."

I gave him a watery smile."Its fine. I knew it was going to happen, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up high."

He shook his head sadly."Your mate will be devastated."

My smile dropped as my voice suddenly hardened."I never found my mate yet."

A look of surprise crossed his face."But you're already eighteen! You should have already found your mate by now."

"Well it turns out I'm different. On my sixteenth birthday, I never found my mate. I guess its good I didn't find my mate then isn't it? Save them a round of torment when I'm gone." I said bitterly.

The doctor surprised me before he exclaimed."This is great!"

I gave him a offended look. I had just given him my sob story and he exclaims that its great. How dare he! "Great? How is this-"

He cut me off."Your mate can cure you! I thought you had already mated before the hunters came." His voice turned serious."Melony, you must go look for your mate."

Staring at him completely flabbergasted, I asked confused."Wait, what?! Why do I have to look for my mate?"

He rubbed his hand over his face tiredly. His pepper grey hair standed out prominently as a look of weariness washed over his features. "Melony, once you bond together with your mate, it is possible that the bond will kill away the poison. This is most likely the only cure."

I shook my head vigorously. "But I thought you said you had no more cures!"

A long sigh escaped his lips. The same look of weariness appeared again, as he furrowed his eyebrows. "That was before I knew you had no mate."

"So you're sure that this will cure me?" I questioned with a deadly serious tone. He nodded. A bright smile spread across my face as I squealed with delight. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

"I will tell your parents." His lips quirked upward ever so slightly at my enthusiasm.

Grinning happily I hopped off the stool."Thank you so much. See you later Doc!"

"Melony, remember not to walk too close to the street or water." He warned me, his mouth set in a grim line.

I rolled my eyes. "I know I now. You tell me every time."

 I waved one last time before I headed out. 

A large gust of wind blew by just as I was opening the door. I breathed in deeply feeling happy for once when leaving the hospital. I walked back home with a slight bounce in my steps. When I was turning the corner to my house I felt a familiar pounding sensation in my head.

Taking a few deep breaths, I closed my eyes tightly. The searing pain lasted only about a minute until it faded away. I breathed out a sigh of relief.

Ever since the hunters attacked my pack, my life changed. I was shot by one of their bullets, one that held deadly poison. The older wolves died several days after when hit by the bullet. But I was young and strong, the bullet took longer to take effect. It slowly entered my bloodstream and most of it was located in my head. If the poison was somehow triggered, it would take only about a month before I died.

The poison ensured a long and painful death. Having random seizures, painful headaches, and falling unconcious without warning was some of the side effects of the poison.

I was no longer strong like I was before, I was weak and people treated me as if I would break with the slightest touch. People sugar coated their words when talking to me, it was all so fake and I absolutely despised it.

Running inside, I hurriedly kicked off my shoes. "I'm home!"

My mother rushed towards me with tears streaming down her face."My baby girl's going to live!" My mother cried happily as she engulfed me into a warm hug.

Stepping out of her embrace, I laughed lightly."We don't know about that yet, I still have to find my mate."

She ruffled up my hair."You're such a downer. Don't kill my happy mood."

Forcing a laugh I joined in her laughter but I couldn't shake off a feeling of dread I had felt crawling up my spine. But I would do whatever it took. I couldn't die, I wouldn't let myself.

I hope you somewhat enoyed the first chapter? It's not great and kinda boring but bear with me. Vote or comment? Please? xD