XXXVIII

I stood up on shaky legs and walked over to the wolves falling everywhere. My pups were still alive inside me, I could feel it. They had given me the strength that I needed survive. I couldn't say the same for Kayla and Ulijana.

My hand was steady when I pulled the daggers out of their throats. I knew that they couldn't be saved and their souls should be released as soon as possible.

When I pulled it out of Kayla she didn't move at all, just stayed in the same, dead position. Uli was another story, I could see that she still had fight in her but it was a loosing battle. My hand pulled it out in a swift motion and she let out a loud gasp before her eyes fluttered shut and she gurgled on her own blood as she choked. Death took her in a moment.

I nodded in a sad way, a small part of me had hoped that she'd live through it and be able to help me. My eyes adjusted to the dark and I thought logically. There must be some sort of door somewhere around here, Kayla and Tyler didn't just go no where and I know that Faye is casting her spell like some sort of a beacon.

If I can destroy the beacon then I can stop wolves from coming, maybe then I can talk Faye into stopping the disease.

It was hopeful thinking but that's all I have right now.

My hand went in front of me and I began walking forward, careful not to step on any wolves in the process. After about a minute or so of walking my hand hit a wall adn I began to drag it along to try to find a handle or hinges or some sort of door.

It seemed like forever until my hand ran across a raised surface. A hinge. I scrambled across the area to find a handle, turning it as quietly as possible. The element of surprise seemed crucial. In my left hand I still held my fellow oracle's daggers with the one for my still in my gut.

I wasn't removing that until I was sure it was safe.

The room inside was dark, but still lighter than the one I had just left. My eyes took a second to adjust but when they did I saw that it was a witches lair. A large table in the center held dozens of spell books with shelves on 3 walls filled with different ingredients and utensils to cast magic with.

Kayla sat relaxed on a chair off to the side with Tyler leaning against the wall opposite her, thumb in mouth as he chewed on it. His nervous twitch. Faye was at the table as she worked on the beacon spell, if I could just distract her then it might be enough to break the spell.

I pushed the door open just a bit more. It creaked slightly and I froze in my steps. Kayla did nothing, just continued to fiddle with a knife, Faye was too involved in her spell to notice. Tyler was staring right at me.

Are you okay?

I was dumbfounded. He's not bringing the others to attention or trying to kill me and the pups again. I nodded silently. His eyes found their way to my stomach.

I got both of them, right?

You did. They're safe.

I'll explain everything later, I promise. Right now you need to get behind Kayla and slit her throat with the Horatia blade.

I nodded in understanding, he went over to Kayla and stood in front of her to draw her attention to him. My steps were silenced by the sound of his voice as he asked her about the plan afterwards. How they were going to bring me back.

"Faye has some sort of a spell that will do it," Kayla replied, leaning forward a bit," Unfortunately that can't help us if she's not dead."

I froze and Kayla turned. She smirked.

"Did you really think I didn't see you come in? Honestly, Nova, you should know better."

"I'll remember that next time," my hand tightened around the knives in my hands.

"Oh, honey. There won't be a next time."

"There might not be for us, but my pups will have a next time," my teeth gritted together as I continued," and a time after that and a time after that until they fulfil their own destiny. I will have my family and I will protect it."

Her hand reached out at lightening speed and gripped my hair tightly, pulling my head back as she stared me in the eyes.

"You really think there's a way to save your children? Tyler? Both are lost to you. You saw your family fall in your vision and you watched your fellow oracles fall out there along with those pathetic siblings of yours. Face it, Nova Sterling, you are alone."

"I'm not alone."

"Really? Tell me who could  you possibly still have?"

"I have my mate."

Horatia's knife slipped from my hand and clattered against the ground as she moved her hand from my hair to my throat. Fear didn't come to me, a smile did.

"I think you might be insane," she whispered in my ear," Your mate has traded sides, he tried to kill you and your pups. Tyler is no longer yours."

"Go to hell."

I had barely said the words before Tyler was behind her and grabbing the dagger off the floor, he pushed it into her back and she let out a horrible, blood curdling scream before falling to the ground. I stepped over her and towards Faye who had began to work ferociously on her spell. She was trying to get it done faster, trying harder.

My legs took me to her in a record speed and I pushed my hand through her chest, her heart came out in it on the other end. She stared at me and as I looked into her eyes I saw the same vivacious, amazing friend who I'd spent so many years with. Her red hair in the sunlight. Her smile when she laughed. Her eyes while she explained some silly thing to one of the orphans in a half made up way so they'd explain it.

So many memories, gone and down the drain. I felt nothing for her. No pain, no sorrow, no mercy and no joy. Faye was dead to me the moment that first sick child died.

Georgiana was the last straw. Zoey is the only one saved.

As the red haired witch fell to the ground, fell with her. My hand didn't leave the warmth of her chest until long after it was coated with her blood. I only pulled it out when Tyler came over to me and pulled me into his chest.

"It's over," I whispered as the first tear fell.

There is still a dagger in my chest and there is still a beast and an angel in my belly and there is still hundreds of dead wolves, but it's over.

All over.