47. Here

"Rick

"Rick."

"Alex." Rick mocked, as he turned around, walking in a rush to leave Alexandria with Aaron to head out on a run.

"I want to leave."

"More than welcome to come along-"

"No." Alex interrupted. "I wanna leave. Head to Hilltop."

"Permanently? I don't know, Alex... thought you were going to run Alexandria for me, you know. I think." He stopped walking, and started squinting eyes.

"No, no. Just to visit." Alex clarified. "I would like to  check up on Maggie, see how Sasha is doing too."

"Yeah, alright. Okay." Rick nodded. "You mind me driving you half way? Then take foot after?"

"Never really been an issue."

They stared at each other until Rick took a step forward and slouched over, as his head turned down.
"How're you doing?"

"I could be better. I think maybe right now is the time I stop being so sad." Alex sighed. "I know I'm allowed to be, but someone's gotta step up. I need to stop being so selfish with my feelings."

"Alex-"

"Rick, I just... the people closest to me, have lost someone and almost everyone they love. I'm lucky Daryl is even alive right now."

"Hey," Rick's deep voice called out to her. "he is. How do I know that? He's Daryl, Lex. He's smart, and he understand how Negan and his men work."

Alex just nodded, and said nothing more.

"You have a gun? Knife? Everything for the trip?" Rick asked.

"Yeah. I just don't have bag..."

"We'll give you one, with water and everything just in case you decide to stop walking."

"I don't plan on it." Alex said. "Once you drop me off halfway, I plan to keep on going on foot."

"Just be sure you don't trip along the way," Rick chuckled. "Don't want you to twist or break anything."

"Nice one." Alex rolled her eyes, following Rick to the car.

Leaving Alexandria late in the day, was kind of unpleasant. But, getting there soon would mean she would and could finally do something to make her feel less sorrowful, and useless.

-

It got extremely dark by the time she had reached Hilltop. But something didn't seem right.

Alex had heard something rather odd. Music. Classical music, was being played loud, and when she got closer, she saw the Hilltop doors opened. Upon seeing that, fierce orange fires had caught her eye. She knew Hilltop kept their fires to a very small minimum during the night, so instantly her guard went up.