66. Differences, Differences

very looong chapter. y'all deserve it!

Moderation - Florence + The Machine
Stand By Me (cover) - Florence + The Machine

With everyone back at Hilltop, things were getting complicated yet again. Simon and the Saviors had shown up in the middle of the night, threatening everyone.

Alex had been furious that she wasn't able to do anything to prepare or help anyone with what was happening. But Daryl and Michonne had to remind her that she was keeping kids safe, keeping Judith and the people of Hilltop who couldn't fight safe.

After that night, Hilltop had been quiet and not interrupted anymore from the Saviors. Alex told Rick and Maggie and the rest of them that it could be because they're preparing for something bigger. And that she and everyone else need to prepare themselves.

The rest of Alex's days at hilltop were uneventful, unlucky but almost progressive all at once. The doctor wasn't there, but with Siddiq's help, she stood in bed with a patched up wound. Jesus had visited her any moment he got when he wasn't dealing with the community or helping Maggie.

He would sit by her side and talk whenever Daryl had needed to get some rest or discuss things with Maggie. Jesus would try and tempt her to get back into the room in the hilltop building again but she denied it, saying she doesn't deserve any type of special treatment. She'd rather be back in the trailer again. And so, he eventually agreed and took her back to the trailer.

They spoke about everything from before. Jesus thought that mentioning Negan and the Saviors and everyone's plans would be way too much stress on someone trying to recover from an injury.

Despite all of Alex's stubbornness with her wanting to be the leader she could be, she gave up and practically told him her whole life story.

Daryl had wondered why she didn't share much with him before or ever, but quickly brushed it off because he knew that we had bigger things to deal with. But, he also kept in mind that maybe they should one day, as their lives got better than what was happening.

About two weeks had past, and Alex was still not allowed to walk without any crutches or without someone by her side. Rosita had kept close, even with an arm wound herself, and help her out with things. Alex began feeling good about opening up to the people around her. Maybe that was what a leader was supposed to do, share things and gain a deeper trust with people. She was eager to get back on her feet and get to a better place for herself and for the group.

They had all been at Hilltop together. The news of Carl's death had seem to hit everyone, as they gave each other space or comfort. Rick had found letters that Carl had wrote, presumably before his death. Michonne had given the people he wrote letters to their letter without a word.

Alex had the letter for days before she had opened it. She assumed everyone else had opened theirs, but it felt weird to read a letter from someone who's gone.

So, the day had come. She sat outside, watching a the people of Hilltop move around, working and preparing for what's coming. Alex saw Daryl walk out of the building of hilltop, along with Rosita. They hadn't noticed her until Rosita and pushed Daryl in the shoulder, making him look at Alex by the trailers.

Alex had watched Daryl walk to her. It felt like forever until he finally reached her.

"Hey." He calls out.

"Are you going somewhere?"

He nods his head, looking back at Rosita. "Just gonna go out there. Go by the sanctuary."