Chapter 7

After that awkward exchange at lunch, Ashley and I started a conversation, hoping the others would tune in too. And most of them did. Lily and Ellie joined in almost right away, and after a few minutes, Zoe did too. She only spoke a little though, mostly paying attention to her lunch.

And Adam, well...let's just say he didn't speak at all after I practically lectured him. If it was for the better or worse, no one could tell. He did have a foul mouth after all. After lunch ended, and the three remaining awfully long classes, the final bell rang for the day, and we were free to go home.

Ellie had asked me to wait with her for her ride again, and I agreed, feeling like socializing a bit more. We sat at the fountain once again and chatted away. During our conversation, I debated if I should or shouldn't invite her over to my house tomorrow to help me with art. I was worried she would refuse, since we just met, basically.

After mentally beating myself up over, I've come to the conclusion, that - screw it.

"Hey Ellie?"

"Yeah?"

"I was thinking...you're really good at art and I was actually looking for someone to help me, so I was wondering if you could, uh...teach me?" I asked, a little unsurely.

Her expression turned to confusion, and I was wondering if I sounded weird or something.

"That reminds me, I wanted to ask you something." She said out of the blue.

"Oh? Okay, ask away?" I spoke.

"Why do you want to be good at art if you're already good at music?" She asked curiously.

My expression remained the same, while my heart ached a little. It's like everyone wants to remind me of that pain I burried about four years ago, along with my father.

With limited options of words, I decided to answer her question with another question.

"And why don't you appreciate your talent?" I asked.

She casually shrugged.

"Because it's not that great. Anyone can do art." -She replied.

"Pfff, except me." I scoffed, rolling my eyes, making her laugh.

"Sure then, I'll help you." She agreed.

"Cool. Can you come over tomorrow after school?" I suggested.

"Yeah, no problem. I'll just have to ask my parents, but I'm pretty sure they'll agree." She said.

<···>

I got home a while later, since Ashley texted me that we should get ice cream. When I walked inside, I looked around and found my mother sitting on the couch in the living room and watching TV.

"Hey mom?" I asked as I approached her, crossing my arms.

"Yeah?" My mother asked, not even paying attention to me.

"I have a friend coming over tomorrow. Can you please not drink until after she's gone? Or at least stay out of sight while she'll be here?" -I asked.

She turned her head my way and rolled her eyes, turning her attention back to the TV.

"I don't drink." She said sternly.

"Yeah, sure you don't." I replied, rolling my eyes as well.

"I don't Jade." She repeated.

"Look, whatever. Just, please go somewhere tomorrow afternoon." I said, turning around and leaving the room.

"Who gave you the right to give out orders? And who allowed you to invite that friend anyway?" She asked in a bitter tone.

I sighed and kept walking all the way up to Brooke's room, hearing faint music coming from inside. I had to make sure my mother wouldn't freak Ellie out tomorrow.

I walked in and saw my sister dancing like an idiot in the middle of the room while the music became louder.

She heard me come in and she stopped dancing, turning my way and wearing a goofy smile.

"Like my moves?" She joked.

"Yeah...you should work on that." I said, making her snicker.

"I need a favor."

"Oh?"

"I need you to get mom out of the house tomorrow after school."

Her face twisted into a mocking smirk.

"Why? Are you bringing over your secret boyfriend or something?" She asked, emphasizing the word boyfriend, making me roll my eyes.

"No, I'm bringing over a friend to help me with something. Besides, she's a girl." I clarified.

"So what if she's a girl?" -She questioned.

I sighed.

"Nothing. Can you just please keep mom busy?" I pleaded.

"Fine. But you owe me."

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks." I thanked.

"No problem" She replied with a grin, then went back to dancing.

I left her room and entered mine, feeling sleepy just at the sight of my bed. I threw myself on it, like always, and wrapped myself into the covers, preparing to take a nap.

But to my displeasure, my phone began to ring it's annoying tune. I groaned and pulled it out, looking at the caller ID. It was Ashley.

"What?!" I answered the phone in a tired and slightly irritated tone.

"Jade! Cute guy cancelled our date!" She hysterically said.

"What? When? What happened?" I asked, immediately bombarding her with questions.

"Just a few minutes ago. He sent me a text saying: Sorry, can't make it on Friday. Gotta take my mom to the doctor for a monthly checkup." She said.

"Uhm, so? The poor guy's mother has health issues." -I said confusedly.

"Still, he hasn't texted me about a rain check for the date." She said, sighing sadly.

"Really Ash? Why don't you just text him to meet you up on Saturday or something?" I questioned.

"Well, should I? I mean, I don't wanna seem like a desperate girlfriend or a clingy one in that case." Ashley muttered, causing me to laugh.

"Jeez Ashley, just do it. You were gonna go out anyway, and maybe he forgot to text you about a rain check." I suggested.

"But that would mean he didn't think of me as someone important!" She whined.

"Calm down, maybe he'll text you later. And if he doesn't, you text him. Simple as that."

"I guess that makes sense. Thanks Jade. You know, for answering my ridiculous phone calls at the most ridiculous times." She said, making us both chuckle.

"Anytime. Bye Ash. Good luck!" I chirped jokingly.

"Bye bye Jade." She said, hanging up.

I sighed and got up from my bed. I was feeling hungry, and didn't feel like waiting for dinner.

"Pizza." I thought, nodding to myself and heading down to the kitchen.