Chapter Two: Brice

I glanced in the mirror and made a face of disgust to the person staring back. Her puffy, curly, short black hair was hideous. Her nose was large and didn't complement her eyes. Her outfit consisted a large grey sweater and a long pair of green shorts that were to tight because her thighs were too big. What was she thinking? Green isn't her color, she's too tan for it. This girl was society's definition of ugly. I was the definition of ugly.

I sighed and grabbed my phone and told my mom I was going for a walk. She hugged me, her eyes joyful that I'd finally go out and do exercise. To her, playing soccer wasn't enough. I believed her too, I was still overweight and I didn't fit into my jeans anymore. That's why I wore these ugly green shorts.

Anyway, I began my walk as I texted my new friend Patricia.

ME: on my way

PATRICIA: Cool. doors open :)

I made my way up to her house and walked in. She smiled and handed me a bowl of chips. I gently shook my head and sat by her.

"Dude I'm so fucking high," she giggled and popped a few chips into her mouth.

I stayed quiet because I wasn't sure how to respond. This was my first time going back to her house after the day we met. It had been a week since I've met her and she's been hassling me to come over.

"So, Jen I just wanted to let you know that I'm having a few other friends come over, well two. They're guys," she smiled. "You're okay with that right?"

I shrugged and smiled. I mainly talked to boys all throughout elementary school because they were more accepting that the girls. I wasn't pretty or thin like they were so they made fun of me. So did some guys but I still had some friends.

A couple minutes later, knocks broke the silence throughout the house and Patricia squealed with glee. She jumped up and went to let the visitors in.

"Jen! These are my friends Jason and Brice!" She walked back enthusiastically, which made me in a way uncomfortable.

Jason's figure was tall and slender. He had light blue eyes almost covered by his round glasses. He wore a black sweater and skinny jeans. His hair was black as well, but like Patricia he was pale.

Brice, on the other hand, was not as tall but tall enough. He was built, like he went to the gym, and it suited his height. He had light brown hair and large brown eyes. His lips were shaped perfectly despite the fact that they were chapped. He wore a flannel and blue jeans that told me a little about his personality.

I waved shyly as they greeted me. Brice sat next to me and Jason by Patricia.

"So guess who got some good shit?" Brice grinned. The other two smiled and Patricia brought out a glass figure. It was something I have never seen before. It was smooth and colorful and had a small opening at the top and a little bowl by the bottom.

I stared at it confused and glanced at Patricia.

"It's my bong Jen!" She giggled. "It's okay you don't have to join if you don't want to."

"What's the fun of just watching?" Brice chuckled taking a small bag with a green substance inside. "Come on it'll be fun!"

"It's okay I don't smoke," I shook my head and looked down embarrassed. "I've never done it."

"Well don't knock it till you try it!" Jason smiled.

I sighed softly and looked at Patricia. She slightly shook her head in disapproval because she knew I wasn't comfortable, but looked down.

I watched curiously as they smoked this substance that smelled somewhat like a skunk as Brice kept hassling me into taking at least one "hit". Eventually, I grew irritated and agreed.

I took Patricia's bong and looked at Brice to teach me how to do it.

"Place you're mouth here and when I light the bowl breath in," he spoke with a voice so gentle that it made me melt.

I did as he said and he lit the small amount of green in the bowl while I sucked in air. It was horrible; I choked and coughed for what seemed like hours. My throat felt as if a fire slowly burned the tissue until there was nothing left.

Brice chuckled and took his hit with ease. I felt defeated because I made a fool out of myself.

"It's alright," Jason smiled, noticing I was discouraged. "The first hit is always the hardest. It'll get easier."

I shook my head because I did not want to experience that horrid feeling again. I sat back and watched them smoke the rest of what was in the bag. We watched TV until the boys fell asleep.

It had been four hours since I left my home to "take a walk". I knew my mom would get worried so I stood up and said goodbye to Patricia.

"Hey, next time I want to actually do it without coughing," I spoke while staring at my beat up Etnie's sneakers.

"I'll teach you," Patricia smiled. "Just come over more often and learn."

She hugged me goodbye and watched me walk down back to my house. I went straight to my bed ignoring my father passed out on the couch from drinking too much. I kicked off my shoes and glanced at my brothers empty bed and sighed. I crawled onto my bed and quickly fell asleep excited to try something new in the near future.