XVIII. Rage

Thadash glanced over at Sorne, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "You're insane, you know that?" he muttered. The orc was no longer an initiate. He wore the bone charms of a shaman and his hair had been shaved off. Sorne was sorry she had missed the ceremony, but they had needed Nessa's guidance. "Banaak should have murdered you."

"He came very, very close," Sorne said. Her teacher had not appreciated her becoming initiated without his permission, though when he found out it was Nessa's doing, he settled down. She slapped Thadash on the back. "You'll be fine. We'll persuade Murdak, and then we'll figure out a way to explain to him how you feel about him."

"What if he doesn't listen? What if he hates me?" Thadash asked, running a hand over his shaved head.

"Somehow, I don't think that's a danger," the human murmured, smiling despite knowing that it would do nothing to put Thadash at ease. "Remember, I'm the one putting forth the idea. All you have to do is convince him to listen. Graaol and Banaak will talk to him later, if he won't listen, but he's usually less stubborn when it's us."

Sorne felt arms suddenly circle her waist from behind. "What's going on?" Khagra asked, hanging off the human. She had been delighted to see Sorne and Vridash again when they returned, complete with a girlish squeal of delight. Khagra was nearly as tall as Sorne now, growing into her own body. She was still at the awkward stage, but her awkward was almost better than Sorne's more graceful moments.

"Thadash and I are about to spring an idea on your brother," Sorne said with a grin. Having Khagra around was like having a younger sister. The human felt almost obligated to be a bad influence at times.

"Is that idea Thadash?"

Sorne beamed when she heard the orc shaman choke on air. "Not right now, but next time," the human said.

"Did you tell her?" Thadash hissed once he'd regained himself. Sorne had never seen an orc's cheeks that dark of gray, but it was endearing.

"Nope. Vridash did," Khagra announced.

"I'm going to murd-" Thadash started to snarl before stopping mid-thought. He turned to the pair of them, both of whom were grinning. "Who else knows?"

"Graaol and Kor, plus whoever the imp told," Sorne said. She heard familiar footsteps coming down the hall from behind them. The same direction that Khagra had come from. The swagger was a little faster than usual, but it was definitely their goth. "Khagra, I don't suppose you told your brother?"

Khagra's grin widened. "Maybe," she said.

Murdak cleared his throat as the three turned to face him. The orcish warleader's face was hard to read, but definitely not smiling. Sorne could almost feel the nerves radiating off Thadash. "Sorne, would you kindly take the imp out for some archery practice?" he said firmly.

The shaman was staring at Sorne with wide, betrayed eyes when she bobbed her head in a nod. She knew that look. It was Thadash's silent plea for her to save him, though never before had it looked quite so intense. "My pleasure, Goth," the human said, letting Khagra tow her outside. Once they were out of earshot of the two male orcs, she laughed. "Khagra, that wasn't very kind."

"Or it was very kind," Khagra pointed out. "Thadash was never going to say anything. You know how he gets when he starts thinking too much. He trips over his tongue. Now he won't have time to think."

Sorne sighed a little bit. "You know, Khagra, he's going to remember this when you find someone."

The orc girl looked pleased with herself. "I hope so."

"You are an imp," Sorne said with amusement. "Come on. Let's find Vridash and get some archery practice in."

Khagra grabbed her arm and pointed. "Sorne, Rirk is coming. He doesn't look happy."