XXXIV. Ash

The ash of funeral pyres drifted down like grey snowflakes, settling on Sorne's hair and shoulders. There was so much of it in the giant area of camp that they had to wear cloth covering their noses and mouths. Sorne was sitting near Nirsal's last resting place as Thadash approached. Cecilie was the only one who could conjure fire hot enough to ensure the dragon's passage into the next world, burning her with white-hot flame that could consume a hide hardened against fire.

"Are you ready to go?" the shaman asked gently.

Sorne sighed. "I am not going to back to Ash Kordh."

Thadash was quiet for a moment, processing that. "Where will you go?" he asked in that same soft tone.

"I don't know. I have an invitation to go to Sakana. It's a border town on the edge of Genev," Sorne said. She smiled bitterly. "I've had enough war for a hundred lifetimes. Maybe I can find something else."

"Vridash mentioned he was going to stay with you," the shaman said, sitting down on the earth beside her. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, offering what comfort he could.

"I couldn't talk him out of it," Sorne said softly. "He said he wanted to just be a hunter for a while. You can make a good living doing that near Sakana. I already talked to the thanes. They understood. After all, I only agreed to lead until the war was over."

Thadash nodded slowly. "Will you be safe in Genev? I know Aldana was hunting you."

"It's been a long, long time. Even his memories will have faded," Sorne said. She sighed a little bit. "I want to see Mauléon again. I don't miss it, but I wonder now what became of it, what became of Genev. I do not know if Aldana is a good king, but I doubt it."

"Promise me you'll at least send letters. We can have scouts check in at the border, if you persuade the Genevais to be less hostile," he said quietly.

Sorne nodded. "I think that can be arranged. Aitor is the local commander at Sakana now and he has a great deal of fondness for orcs after fighting alongside them. I'm sorry, Thadash."

"Don't apologize," Thadash said, giving her a squeeze. "We all heal in different ways. I hope to one day see you again, even if we must cross the border into the south. And remember, Ash Kordh will always be open to you. Murdak and I can promise you that."

"Thank you," Sorne said softly. She knew deep down in her heart that Ash Kordh was too interwoven with pain to be a welcome home again, but she would never tell Thadash that. More than anything, though, she felt heartsick, alone, and tired. As she had told Nessa, she was wearier than she had ever felt before in her life. Vridash was her brother, but he could not fill the holes in her life alone. She hugged Thadash tightly. She knew his grief was as deep as her own. Leaving them to dwell in it was the one thought that had been weighted against her decision to go back to Genev.

After a few more moments of quiet, shared pain, Thadash released her. "Be well, little sister," he said softly. "You will be missed."

"I will carry all of you in my heart," Sorne said. "No matter how far I go, you are still my family. I will love you and miss you."

Thadash smiled at her, but his eyes were teary. "That is all we can hope for." He rose to his feet. "Have you said farewell to Murdak?"

"Yes," Sorne said softly. "He said much the same as you."

"Good," the shaman said before giving her another smile and walking back towards the rest of camp. He passed Vridash, who was on the approach with packs in hand.

"If we stay in Talin and hug the border, we can avoid the southern cities and towns of Genev," Vridash said as he set down a pack next to Sorne. "I would say we could pass through Genev, but I am not going to pass without remark. Even in Sakana, it will take time to earn trust from those who are not Aitor's men."