g. stanton | marlins

for @Chelsieeeee999

As we pull up to the clubhouse, I see all of the cars littering the parking lot.

My friends and I were attending my dad's going-away party. He was the strength and conditioning coach for the Miami Marlins, but has recently decided to retire a little early. I took a deep breath before exiting the car and walking through the front doors, knowing that all of the players would be there, especially one I didn't want to see.

And there he was.

Giancarlo Stanton.

We had dated for eight months, but I broke up with him. It was awkward and weird; my dad was his coach. But now, here he was with a different girl on his arm.

"It's okay. Take a breath," my friend, Carli, says as she sees exactly what I see. It's at that moment where it's as if he can feel my gaze, because his eyes shift around the room until they land on mine.

After only a second, his eyes flick away from me and he focuses back on whoever he was talking to.

"I'm gonna go find my dad," I mumble to my friends, moving across the room. Eventually, I find him and my worries are forgotten. That is, until I feel a presence behind me, and not too long after, a heavy arm slings over my shoulders.

"Hey, coach. We're really gonna miss you," Giancarlo addresses my dad, but acts like we've never been separated.

"I'm going to miss you guys, too. Don't know what I'll do to keep me busy. You and Chels still going strong?" My dad asks, and I almost forgot that I never told him that we broke up.

"Stronger than ever," he replies, and I almost choke on my own saliva.

"Well, I'll let you two go talk to the rest of the guys. Bye Chels, I'll see you later!"

As soon as my dad walks away, I duck out from under his arm.

"What the fuck, G?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing. "Are you just going to pretend like we never broke up and that you didn't come here with some girl-"

"She's just a rebound, baby," he interrupts.

"That's still not okay! Where even is she?" I argue.

"She left. She got mad because she spilled the punch on her clothes and accused me of it," he explains.

"I still don't want to be a second choice."

"You were never the second choice. Let's get out of here and go eat dinner, you in?"

I sigh and grab his outstretched hand, deciding that I can text my friends that I left later.