Chapter 7

Edward swept Elizabeth into his strong arms only to be hit by the intoxicating aroma of her arousal. At least her body didn't hate him, and that was as good a starting place as any. He could feel the heat from her body as she lay against his chest, and the electricity popping between them was more than the residue from the charged light show that saved his life.

Christal held the door opened then turned to help the twins into the back seat. He tenderly placed Elizabeth in the car, and she went limp against the leather seats. He immediately missed her body heat against his body and wished he could hold her a little longer. He looked down at her as she braced against the door and realized how frail she seemed on the outside in contrast to the warrior on the inside. Their lives were in danger and all he could think about was making this woman his.

During the ritual he had been preoccupied by the beauty and simplicity of Elizabeth's face. The blood red robe draped just off her shoulder exposing soft creamy skin. He was imagining running his tongue over that spot when a noise to his left drew his attention. From the shadows of the cabin Edward noticed that Ms. Cornwall was already on the move toward the trespassers. One intruder unknowingly walked past him heading toward the group of women. Edward pointed the gun and took out the first of the four men hitting him in the chest dead center. The second man went down just as quickly leaving two more moving in fast.

Ms. Cornwall ran to his side and her right hand held a white spinning fireball. That's cool was the first thing that popped in his head. When the ball took off flying across the yard taking out another man, he change his mind. That was much more impressive.

There had been one last man, or so he thought, but because he had been watching the witch shoot fire from her hands, he had lost sight of him. He moved around behind a fountain with a large statue of a goddess holding the moon in her hands. Movement coming from within the coven circle drew his attention to Elizabeth causing him not to see the agent coming at him from the side.

One good strike from a pair of shit kickers had his gun flying into the dark. Two unsuccessful attempts with a punch and a painful jab to his ribs had Edward seeing red.

Years of being on the wrestling team prepared him for a fair fight, but this wasn't a fair fight and more than a trophy was at stake. An image of his dad chastising him after losing a match transported him back in time and all of a sudden in the place of the agent was his dad, but he wasn't that small weak boy anymore. No, now he could defend himself and that is what he did. If the guy hadn't hit the ground, he may not have ever stopped swinging at the face that now only lived in his nightmares.

Edward was shaking himself from the dazed fight with the agent that was now lying below him bleeding from a mutilated face when Elizabeth once again drew his attention. Her ebony hair was whipping in the wind and her red glowing eyes were focused on something just over his shoulder. That wasn't what held his attention. No, it was the fact that she had ascended and hovered at least six feet in the air. There was an electric current zapping from her finger tips. He turned around just as a cloud to ground lightning bolt hit the man approaching from his rear.

The smell of burnt flesh burned his nose as the man fell to the ground beside his buddy. The crowd went silent and all chanting stopped. He turned back to Elizabeth in time to see her fall from the sky. Instinct took over and he ran to her side. Scared he had lost her, he pulled her into his lap.

Relief washed over him when she opened her eyes. No longer red, their hazel color was hypnotizing and spoke volumes. This was the most vulnerability he had seen in this otherwise guarded vault, and he wanted to hold her until the weakness passed and she was confident that everything would be all right. Even though he wasn't so sure of that himself.