iv

"Bloody hell, Harry!" Ron cried the next morning at breakfast. "Malfoy?"

Harry shrugged innocently, shovelling another spoonful of cereal into his mouth. Hermione rolled her eyes. "Yes, Ron, Malfoy. Haven't you noticed?"

Harry flushed hotly and glanced around, but Draco was not here yet, thank Merlin.

"There's nothing to notice!" protested Ron, "Harry's hated that prick since our first year!"

"Don't be ridiculous, he's been pining since sixth year," Hermione replied impatiently.

"He was dating Ginny in sixth year!"

"Whatever he says," Hermione said, turning to Harry, "I'm happy for you. And proud that you overcame all the hate you had before. This is a really promising step towards inter-house unity!"

Harry smiled nervously, but was saved from having to formulate a reply by the appearance of none other than Draco Malfoy, who shyly wrapped his arms around Harry's shoulders, before sitting beside him. A nosy first year gasped, spilling his cereal everywhere, before trying to hide his shock.

Draco laughed kindly and smiled at the boy, vanishing the spilled milk and grabbing a small slice of toast for himself. He picked at it slowly as Harry ate enough to feed a small army. By the time Harry had finished his expansive breakfast, Draco had eaten as much of the slice of toast as he could force himself to eat.

"Are you done?" Harry asked, oblivious to the small amount that Draco had eaten. Hermione shot him a reprimanding look, but Draco nodded, ignoring Hermione's frown.

"What have you got now?"

"Potions," Harry sighed, "but I think I might drop it."

"Don't you need potions to be an auror?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure I want to be an auror any more. I've had enough fighting to last a lifetime," he laughed ruefully.

"What will you go into then?" Draco asked, genuinely interested. He took Harry's hand gently as they walked the long, familiar path to the dungeons.

"I'm not sure," Harry admitted. "I was considering setting up something in the home Sirius left me-"

"Sirius Black? He was your godfather, right?"

Harry nodded. "I felt like there should be somewhere for muggleborns to go in the summer, or even kids from wizarding families that are abusive."

"That's... a brilliant idea," Draco said gently.

"I know I'd have benefitted, if I could have gone to one," Harry said quietly.

"You- I never knew- your family were abusive?"

"Probably, although I wouldn't have labelled it as such," Harry replied, "I don't know."

"If you don't mind- I- what happened?"

"I lived under the stairs for eleven years, 'til I got my Hogwarts letter. And they would often not feed me or something. I never had anything of my own."

Draco paled. "I'm sorry- I gave you so much crap for it, I never knew-"

"Draco, it's fine. I gave as good as I got. Besides, it's probably stupid, I'm overreacting."

"I- if you say so. It's a good idea, though, your home for little kids."

"It's only once or twice a year, though."

"What about teaching?"

"What about teaching?" Harry countered.

"Have you considered it?"