ix

Millicent Bulstrode crept out of bed at five that morning, and cast a silencing charm over Hermione, before waking the other girl quietly. Hermione shrieked silently before noticing Millicent. The bushy haired Gryffindor cast a muffilato over her bed, and Millicent (who recognised the spell) removed her silencing charm.

"What the hell do you want, Bulstrode?"

"Harry Potter."

"Has a boyfriend."

"No he doesn't."

"Wait- you knew?" Draco told you?"

"Of course not. We know him well enough to tell. But listen, Granger. Draco is not happy. Harry hasn't spoken to him for a week now. What's going on?"

"Merlin, as if I know! I don't think Harry knows, if I'm honest. He seems to think Draco told him to back off, but I can't really see that being the case."

"No, it makes no sense. But what I need to know is if he still likes Draco."

"Oh, of course. A blind man could see it."

"You know him best," Millicent allowed. "I just wanted confirmation. We have a plan, you see."

"A plan?" Hermione replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course. We are Slytherins, after all."

"A plan for what?"

"To get them back together, of course. Listen, this is what you need to know..."

Draco slumped further into his seat as his fake-boyfriend sat beside him.

"Morning sunshine," Harry murmured, scowling at Draco as the blond turned away. "What's gotten into you?"

"I should ask the same to you," Draco snapped, "it isn't like you to talk to me."

"You aren't making a very convincing boyfriend," Harry hissed, and Draco glowered at him.

"You're one to talk."

"Merlin. Look, are you still coming to the Yule Ball with me?"

"You still want me to?"

"I thought we were supposed to be dating?"

"Yeah, so did I until you didn't talk to me for three days."

Professor McGonagall coughed pointedly. "Ten points from Gryffindor and Slytherin for the disruption. As I was saying..."

Harry glared at Draco and shuffled his chair away. When McGonagall wasn't looking, Draco leant over and whispered in Harry's ear.

"I will still go with you, if you want. I just- I don't know why you stopped talking to me."

"I thought you wanted some distance," Harry replied, clearly confused. "Whatever. I'll pick you up at eight?"

"Sure."

True to his word, Harry knocked on the door to the Slytherin common room (eighth year students were allowed to return to their common room if they so desired, or stay in their eighth year one) at eight PM that evening. Moments later, Draco came to the door and fell into step with his not-boyfriend, who looked remarkably good.

Draco, on the other hand, had never looked better. He wore a simple (yet clearly expensive) muggle suit in what they called "space grey", but he would have called "almost black". An emerald green tie to pay homage to his house (and, of course, one of the more defining features of his not-boyfriend) lay over his crisp, white shirt, and his long hair had been braided by Pansy. Harry felt his heart skip a beat as he took in the stunning appearance of the man (for he was now clearly a man, rather than a boy) beside him, but he scolded himself silently. Draco was not interested in him, no matter how he might act, and he was wrong to kid himself otherwise. It would only hurt him more in the long run.