Chapter One

"Roma, wake up, sweetie."

I groaned in annoyance and opened my eyes. "What is it?" I asked sitting up from the car seat that I had slept on throughout most of the ride.

"We're finally here! Paris, the city of passion and love. Aren't you excited?"

I looked at my manager, Hiroko, and narrowed my eyes. "No." I lied back down on the car seat and tried to fall back asleep.

"Roma..."

"I just want to get the movie over with and go back home. Nobody wants me here, so what's the point in coming a year early and practically living here."

"You have your mother's sour attitude towards these things. Be happier." I groaned in response and tried to cover my face with my blanket. "Think more positively. Maybe you'll make some friends for a change. Maybe something life changing will happen. Maybe you'll fall in love. You never know.

I gave a frustrated sigh as I sat up. "Well, I'm officially up." I lightly glared at Hiroko. "Happy?"

"Ecstatic, and I'm sure you will be too when we grab you a cup of coffee and a bite to eat."

I shook my head as a smile made its way onto my face and I moved to grab my camera from my bag. "Did we pass the Eiffel Tower yet?" I looked out the window to look for the famous tower.

"Not yet." She pulled out her phone scrolled through something. "The first day of school starts this Monday."

"Great." I mumbled sarcastically as I kept my focus on staring out the window.

"So, because we arrived on a Saturday evening, you have all night to unpack and maybe you can wander around tomorrow."

I nodded and watched as my breath fogged up the window. "Hiroko?"

"Yes, Roma?"

"Why are we really here?"

I heard her sigh. "You seemed like you needed a break from your family." I huffed and continued to look at the foggy window. "I know your sister means a lot to you and you wanted to bring her, but your mother's a bit..." She trailed off.

"Bad. I know."

"Yeah. Too carefree and irresponsible when it comes to her kids. Your younger siblings need a caring person to take care of them." I felt her place her hand on top of my head. "If it's not you, then it's the next best thing, Astride." I felt my eyes water slightly at the mention of my sister's name. "Roma, I've met your father before." I looked at her, surprised. "Faustino is a good man. He's caring, supportive, and just a loving person in general. You have those qualities inside you too, which makes you a great person for others to have. You're mother used to be like that too, but she slowly got obsessed with being wealthy. Why do you think she's with her boyfriend?" She rubbed the tips of her fingers together. "He has money. You're mother's changed, and not in a good way. Do you think I don't notice the marks on your skin?"

I looked down at my camera and inhaled a shaky breath. "Why do you know so much?"

"I've been friends with both your mother and father since my high school years and I do research on my clients."

My grip tightened on my camera. "I miss papà."

Hiroko placed her hand on my own. "Romano, he has his reasons to leave you and your sister."

"Why?"

She pulled her hand away. "I'm sorry. I can't tell you, it's too dangerous for you to know."

I sighed, disappointed. "Okay." Hiroko stayed silent and I wiped the tears that had slid out of my eyes.

"Monsieur, can you please take us to the Eiffel Tower for a quick moment?"